Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

NancyOh
Explorer C

I have 3 travel funds ($137.98, $187.96 and $288.04), expiring September 08, and 12, 2020.  Do you know what I need to do?  I can't travel due to personal reasons.

When I called the customer service, I was told to wait till the travel funds expire, then pay $100 each fund to Southwest, then I can extend for 6 months only.

I would really wish Southwest extends the expiration dates.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel Funds

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

I would book a new flight using as much of the funds as you can like try to find a flight for about $611 book it then immediately cancel it because if you cancel a flight before September 7th it will extend your funds until September 7th 2022 also it will combine the travel funds on to one confirmation number making it easier to use. Keep in mind the travel funds can only be used by the name that's on them they are not transferable. 

-Blake 

SCRUBMOM
Explorer B

Convert to RR Points to have no expiration and can be used by anyone.  NEW, see Travel Funds page on site...  Limited time offer can't be beat!!!!

'

Stejan
Explorer C

dfwskier
Aviator A

Travel fund expiration dates don't   immediately show as9/7/22 upon cancellation.

The dates are batch updated once a day, and normally show up the day after you cancel.

Stejan
Explorer C

I stand corrected, I'd delete my previous post if I knew how.

This solution does work, you just have to give it a day to update.
Although the new travel funds expiration date remained as the original expiration (Dec-2019) immediately after I cancelled the new booking, overnight the expiration date of the new funds was updated to Sep 7, 2022, and I now also have the option to convert them to points.

gsking
Aviator C
Solution

As far as I know any tickets canceled currently are extended until Sept 2022.  So you could buy a ticket and cancel and the dates should be extended.   This is how it has worked for me.