Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel To Cancun, Mexico

astaylor71
Explorer C

I will be traveling to Cancun on 1/26 and returning on 2/1.  It is my understanding that there will be new restrictions for flying back into the US after 1/26, that a negative test will be required to re-enter.  Can you provide any information in this regards?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel To Cancun, Mexico

dfwskier
Aviator A

When Southwest gets    updates about travel requirements, it posts them here:

https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/?clk=CORONAVIRUS_TA&cbid=5504040

I'd suggest that you check the page periodically.

Explorer C

with regards to that page you suggested - that has not even been updated with the latest CDC release.

Explorer C

I'd like some updated information on this as well. The CDC website says that a prevoius positive test with note you are cleared to travel suffices. 

Is this confirmed to suffice from Southwest?

Also, I contacted the CDC (3 hour wait) to confirm if a positive antibody test counts as "documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight. "

They said - "there is no guidance on this out yet".

What is SW's policy on this. 

THIS NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED ASAP!!! If we show up to the airport in mexico after the trip is over to fly home and are denied access to flights home, this is a MASSIVE problem. It would take a minimum of 48 hours to get a new test done in mexico. 

FlyingWookie
Explorer C

They'll probably just ask you to quarantine when you arrive to the states without a negative test.  This is almost impossible to enforce boarding in foreign countries.  You'll have to supply it entering the states and if you don't have it they'll just tell you to go home.  

Remember, it has to be law to be enforceable.  This is a CDC recommendation.  CDC doesn't make law.  Maybe I'll be wrong, but frankly I think you could just ignore it and play dumb.  Customs is set up for security, not a virus. That would be the only enforceable entity you pass entering from a foreign country.  Flown into SJU and STT where tests were required and it was a joke.  I can't imagine the dozens of international airports in the US even remotely being able to handle this requirement.  

Explorer C

Well unfortunately, people can't rely on playing dumb and potentially getting stuck in a foreign country. 

The new CDC guidelines that were released say that all international travelers must present a negative test within 72 hours of departure date to board. 

I spoke with SWA customer service and they seemed to believe they WOULD be enforcing this policy at their gates in foreign countries. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest's policy will be CDC's policy.

IF CDC can't tell you, how do you expect Southwest to be able to.

The second message in this thread will tell you how to find out what will happen, and the link will be updated as Southwest knows what will happen.