Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel funds about to expire

ghigbee
New Arrival

Just found out my travel funds will be expired on 6/18/21 and trying to book a flight for Nov for Me & my Wife. We both have the travel funds from a cancelled flight from Nov 2020. Can a person say book a flight to some where that leaves 6/17 and return date of 6/18, use the travel funds, pay the difference, then just cancel the flight a few hours ahead of time? Would the used travel funds still expire on 6/18 or would they be extended for 6 months? Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Travel funds about to expire

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Booking and canceling a flight booked with a travel fund does not change the expiration date. Unless you can actually fly before the 18th you're out of luck.

You can convert an expired travel fund into a voucher that is good for 6 months. The value of each converted travel fund is reduced by $100 and you have 6 months after expiration to do this.

Contact Customer Relations to do this conversion.

--TheMiddleSeat

ghigbee
New Arrival

Unfortunately I did not know there was such a expiration date until I went to book our flight for this Nov and tried to use them, thats when the message came up. Guess we will just have to take the $200 hit on this one and have learned a hard lesson. If we book the Nov flight today & pay the whole fare, can you apply the voucher at a later date before the flight?

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

No, you would have to cancel and rebook to use the voucher and you would get new travel funds when you cancel. Not a good move.

--TheMiddleSeat

ghigbee
New Arrival

Was just curious. Guess we wait till Saturday!! Thanks for the info and your time.

tappingmom1

@ghigbee  I like your attitude!!  I truly do.  You took responsibility, learned from it, and moved on.  I wish there were more people like you.  I hope you have a wonderful trip in November!!

bec102896
Top Contributor

One random idea I have with the current issues going on book a flight for tomorrow and hope it gets canceled and maybe they could then offer an extension without the $100 fee per travel fund. Because of all the delays and cancellations today I’m afraid the mess will still exist tomorrow while trying to get planes and crews rerouted. Just a thought,

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Not a bad idea, just be sure to cancel at least 10 minutes prior to departure if Southwest doesn't cancel the flight.

--TheMiddleSeat