Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel funds vs rapid reward

Oloughlinb3
Explorer C

What is the difference between Travel funds and Rapid Reward points? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Travel funds vs rapid reward

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Travel funds are a credit in a specific dollar amount, tied to a specific traveler, that have an expiration date.  Expiration is typically one year from the purchase date of the travel that generated the travel fund, but longer expiration periods have been available recently due to the pandemic.

Rapid Rewards points are points that you can use to "pay for" travel.  Points can be used to purchase travel for anyone and do not have an expiration date.  Each point is currently redeemable at a set rate (I don't have the exact amount handy, but I believe it is in the $0.07 to $0.08 range) and when purchasing a flight you can view the cost in dollars or points.  Southwest could devalue points at any time though so it's better to use them instead of just hoarding them forever.

Hope that helps,

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sorry, I was way off.  A RR point is currently redeemable at 1.6 cents per point.  I should have looked before replying.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Travel funds are also effectively cash with respect to getting credit for"buying" a flight.   You earn points. 

Flights using RR points, on the other hand, do not accrue points or A-list credit.   But they are fully refundable back to points without restriction.