Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel funds

Baseballwife
Explorer C

I had to cancel a flight that I booked in May and got a “credit”.  If I book a flight using those funds for a trip in November and have to cancel would I get another “credit”?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Travel funds

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@Baseballwife 

If you  cancel a flight that you booked in May of 2019 you would have a credit until one year later so May of 2020. If you rebook for November and cancel that trip you would get another credit but it would still expire in May of 2020 as the new ticket will keep the expiration date of your oldest ticket if that makes sense. 

Hope this helps!

Blake

revrobsw
Explorer C

I have travel funds that expire in March however I want to take a flight in May, how can I use those funds? Appreciate any info

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@revrobsw Take a look at this thread, it should answer your questions.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Travel-Policies/Converting-Travel-Funds-to-LUV-Vouchers/m-p...

Biggest tip I'll point out is that you should combine all your funds before they expire, then you just request conversion of one fund. 

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Additionally, you don't have to use all of the credit on one flight.  If the November flight you book is less than the May flight was you can use the remaining credit for another flight before May 2020.  Conversely, if the November flight is more expensive and you need to make a cash payment in addition to using the travel funds, the additional cash value you add will have the same May 2020 expiration date.  All flights do have to be for the same passenger(s) that was booked on the original purchase.

--TheMiddleSeat

Beachbum12
Explorer C

I believe the travel funds are good up to one year from the original booking...

maricris823
Explorer C

Beware though, if you buy something with even $1 of travel funds, and cancel, 100% of the new ticket funds expire the same as the $1 expiration date. I am losing $675 at the end if this month. My mom passed and we decided to move her services to spring since the cemetery is on the east coast, and now I am losing all that money because I used an old refund toward that purchase. AND you have to finish travel before the expiration date, not just purchase. AND they don't even advise you it's going to expire. I went to book the new flight and saw I couldn't use the funds from August even though it's only January. 

Feel like I was had, I would have used this by now if I'd known. This is A LOT of money! several weeks of work worth 😞

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@maricris823 see link a couple posts back about converting expired travel funds to a voucher, that may help you out.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@Beachbum12 wrote:

I believe the travel funds are good up to one year from the original booking...

Yes that is correct.