Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel funds

Hbspagirl
Explorer C

I have travel funds that are set to expire and the dates in my account have not been updated.  Because if this I can’t book future flights and use my funds.  When will the travel funds be updated?  I saw a post in early April that the dates would be pushed back to 6/2021.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Travel funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

That happened at least a month ago and dates were pushed back to June, 2022.

That applies to all tickets cancelled (and travel funds thus created) after 2/28/20.

If that is not you, then use your funds to buy a ticket to anywhere, and then cancel the ticket.

Viola, your new fund expiration date will be 6/22

Matt4202
Adventurer A

I think you mean September 2022.

alaskaqueen
Explorer C

Would this work for tickets in November 2019? I had to cancel a ticket over the holidays and had planned to fly in the spring/summer but everything is cancelled and I am quarantining. I tried purchasing another ticket and cancelling it, but it looks like I still have the same original cancelation date. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If your travel funds expire after September 7, 2020, just use them to book a new ticket (before September 7, 2020), and then immediately cancel it. Overnight your funds will update to the September 7, 2022 expiration date.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Assuming your flight falls within the policy window:

• Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.

it will update automatically.

--Jessica

Marafada2009
Explorer C

Jessica, 

would you be able to provide a link with that information from the Southwest website? I purchased a flight for August and had to cancel two weeks ago, but my travel funds are expected to cancel early December. I’m hoping the 2022 extension applies to me also, but I’m not sure. Any help would be appreciated! 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Marafada2009 wrote:

Jessica, 

would you be able to provide a link with that information from the Southwest website? I purchased a flight for August and had to cancel two weeks ago, but my travel funds are expected to cancel early December. I’m hoping the 2022 extension applies to me also, but I’m not sure. Any help would be appreciated! 

Here you go @Marafada2009:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Information

Nicole
Community Manager

jksobonya
Aviator A

@NicoleAshley beat me to it! Thank you 🙂 

--Jessica

SCRUBMOM
Explorer B

Can now convert Travel Funds to RR Points which have no exp date and can be used by anyone!  Limited time to do it though.