Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling solo w/ 18mo and car seat

Rachelanne
Explorer C

I’m headed on the return flight of a trip with my 18mo in a couple days. She is flying in her own seat, in a car seat. 

Since I’m traveling solo - getting the two of us in board with carry on bags and car seat (plus collapsible car seat cart) is more than I can handle. 

On the flight out, a helpful attendant offered to take the car seat to a seat for me. But when deplaning I felt like I was holding up the process by finding an attendant to help. I don’t need help setting it up - just physically getting it down the aisle.  

Is there a way I can preboard? I looked into requesting assistance in advance, but it seemed like that is reserved for passengers with disabilities. 

Appreciate any suggestions on how to make this process faster and easier!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Traveling solo w/ 18mo and car seat

Passenger1C
Aviator C
Solution

@Rachelanne  you can definitely pre-board after group A is called and before group B. The down side is I cannot promise someone will be able to help you get on the plane with all of your baby equipment. 

Good luck on traveling, and remember... other passengers might get impatient, but that’s okay. Unless they have experienced the joys of traveling with children, they can either offer to help or keep their thoughts to themselves. Take your time and take a deep breath. One day you will miss traveling like this (or so I’m told) by my mother in law. 😀

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Rachelanne
Explorer C

Thanks! That’s a good reminder. 

We did board between A and B on the way down but it was a struggle. Was hoping to get on earlier if possible! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Rachelanne wrote:

I’m headed on the return flight of a trip with my 18mo in a couple days. She is flying in her own seat, in a car seat. 

Since I’m traveling solo - getting the two of us in board with carry on bags and car seat (plus collapsible car seat cart) is more than I can handle. 

On the flight out, a helpful attendant offered to take the car seat to a seat for me. But when deplaning I felt like I was holding up the process by finding an attendant to help. I don’t need help setting it up - just physically getting it down the aisle.  

Is there a way I can preboard? I looked into requesting assistance in advance, but it seemed like that is reserved for passengers with disabilities. 

Appreciate any suggestions on how to make this process faster and easier!

Mainly don't worry about the others. You are entitled to get in the line coming in and going out of hte airplane just like everyone else and if it isn't you taking a little extra time it would be someone else...I would try not to let it bother you.

When deplaning if you aren't in a hurry to get off let the crowd subside before you head to the aisle - easy if you are towards the back, doing this while being towards the front would take more or less the same amount of time be seem like forever.

Early boarding may be had for an upgrade at the gate, but depending on the age of your kids they may also need upgrades if they aren't lap children.

Overall the "A61" family boarding is there for you and works fine.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.