Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with Breast milk but not my child

kday0789
Explorer C

I will be traveling to Nashville in a few weeks for work. I am not bringing my child who is EBF but I will be pumping while I am gone. What tips do I need to know? Also does it have to be frozen for me to travel with it? I will need to bring a Ice Chest and pump does this count toward my carry-on? Thank you for your help in advance!!!!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Traveling with Breast milk but not my child

SWDigits
Aviator A

@kday0789 this is the link to the Southwest Knowledge Base article, "Nursing Moms Take Flight": https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Nursing-Moms-Take-Flight/ta-p/93755#U93755

The KB article has the link to the TSA web page and the KB article also specifically states that a pump does NOT count toward your carry-on limit.

Please reply to the thread if you have additional questions you'd like help tracking down.  Happy travels!

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: Traveling with Breast milk but not my child

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Just wanted to be sure you noticed that while the pump does not count as a carryon, any ice chest would.  I used to carry a small lunch box in which I could put a freezer pack, then stuff all that into a two gallon ziplock in my backpack.  If possible, then, yes, I recommend it all be frozen, and that the ice packs be the solid kind, not ziplock bags of ice (which I have seen rejected by TSA).  Much of what goes questioned or pulled is at the discretion on the individual TSA officers and manager on duty, so I also suggest the you capture a screen shot of the linked page from @SWDigits.  Helping them see the rules might be important.  

Good luck and and have fun (or get some sleep) while on your trip.  I hope all goes smoothly.