Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with Crib

imaheald
Explorer C

Hello! My family is moving from Pennsylvania to Hawaii and are planning on bringing everything on the plane/check additional bags. I do understand there will be additional charges for bags over the 2 bag allotment. I have a few questions:

1. How many total additional bags can I check? We plan to check 15.

2. We will be checking 4 bags with surfboards. Some are 9 feet long. What fees would these incur?

3. I hope to pack my daughters crib and mattress. I hope to pack it in a TV moving box (with lots of bubble wrap). This box will most likely be 54"x42"x6" and 60 pounds. Is this too large to fly? If not, what charge would this incur?

Thanks in advance! Just want to be prepared!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Traveling with Crib

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

1. Two bags under 50lbs each and less than 62" (L+W+H) are included at no additional charge for each ticketed customer. You didn't say how many passengers are in your family, but a family of 5 would be allotted 10 free bags. I don't see a specific maximum number of excess bags allowed, I would suggest calling Southwest or asking their question via Twitter (@Southwestair) and asking if there is a maximum number of excess bags per passenger that would be allowed. If each of the five passengers is allowed 2 excess bags for a total of 4 bags then you're at a total of 20 bags allowed. You mentioned you are aware of the fees, but keep in mind that excess baggage fee is in addition to any overweight or oversize fees. 

2. Surfboards are accepted for $75, "Surfboard/kiteboard, keels and fins must be removed and placed in carryon or checked baggage." It would surprise me though if they accepted one that was 9ft long. You gotta remember the doors for the plane can only accommodate things up to a certain size. Again, something good to ask via Twitter. I suspect another shipping option might be better here. 

3. Too big. At 102" that is over the 80" limit as specified in the excess baggage policy. 

Here is the excess baggage policy:

Excess Baggage

Each piece of baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance specified above that is not in excess of 62 inches (L+W+H) and 50 lbs. or less will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Weight and Size Allowance

Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

These policies can be found at https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/checked-bags-pol.html and https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

Enjoy Hawaii!!

--TheMiddleSeat