Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with Food

Kymera99
Explorer C

I am flying from KC to Orland in May and will not have access to a car when I get there. I was told I can pack groceries in my checked luggage and wanted to confirm this was ok. I also wanted to know if I could bring a 12 pack of soda. I am not sure if this is something I could carry on or if it would need to be put in a suit case to be checked. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Traveling with Food

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Here is a list from TSA for food, checked and carry on bags https://tinyurl.com/y6walurp

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Kymera99wrote:

I am flying from KC to Orland in May and will not have access to a car when I get there. I was told I can pack groceries in my checked luggage and wanted to confirm this was ok. I also wanted to know if I could bring a 12 pack of soda. I am not sure if this is something I could carry on or if it would need to be put in a suit case to be checked. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thank you.

To add to @franktravel's post, just be sensitive about the weight of the luggage with the groceries since items with liquid or that have a lot of water content might be heavy.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Kymera99,

You'll get some great advice from our Community Members on this question. Regarding the package of soda - you can certainly bring that, but it will have to go in your checked luggage!

Pyka
Explorer C

So as long as I have small food items in my checked luggage, it would be ok ?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Pyka wrote:

So as long as I have small food items in my checked luggage, it would be ok ?

Mainly “yes” but maybe some more detail if you have questions - internationally you can’t always take fruit or meat, and you always want to avoid anything leaking, etc. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.