Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with Southwest during Covid

kshawn
Explorer C

Just traveled from the US West Coast to Cincinnati on Southwest. All flights were completely packed.  The staff were overworked and one flight attendant didn't follow their own mask mandates (way below the nose for the entire flight). This creates an environment in which passengers don't see the need to follow protocol. 

On the four hour legs you are lucky to get a small cup of water or soda and pretzels. 

If you're going to pack people to the max at least reinstate your food and beverage service. 

I've always appreciated the ability to change flights with Southwest but this last trip was pure torture. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Traveling with Southwest during Covid

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Violations like this by airline employees should not be tolerated and should be reported. I suggest you file a complaint with the DOT.  https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

Violations like this by airline employees should not be tolerated and should be reported. I suggest you file a complaint with the DOT.  https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

or perhaps directly to the airline

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Filling a DOT complaint will generate a letter to the airline that they can’t ignore. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

Filling a DOT complaint will generate a letter to the airline that they can’t ignore. 

The response will be "we've discussed the matter with the emplo yee an provided additional training"

jksobonya
Aviator A

@kshawn wrote:

I've always appreciated the ability to change flights with Southwest but this last trip was pure torture. 

Not sure how this flight could have been "pure torture" when, if this happened at any point prior to March 2020, it would have been considered a very normal flight. The only difference is limited snacks and beverages, but SWA is serving soda again and will probably resume their entire service soon enough. 

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

@jksobonya wrote:

@kshawn wrote:

Not sure how this flight could have been "pure torture" when, if this happened at any point prior to March 2020, it would have been considered a very normal flight. The only difference is limited snacks and beverages, but SWA is serving soda again and will probably resume their entire service soon enough. 

--Jessica

Exactly!   What did you expect?   You seem bitter at the apparent hypocrisy of the FA on masks.   Fair enough,  but that didn't really affect your flight.   

If it's "pure torture" to not get the drink you want,  bring your own.   But if you're that fragile, you should really be flying first class on another airline. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@kshawn 

"This creates an environment in which passengers don't see the need to follow protocol."  

Please speak for yourself.  I see in every walk of life every day somebody not wearing a mask at the required venues.  So why do you think that makes me or anyone else say, "oh snap if they are wearing a mask I won't either.???"  I know your vent is towards the employee, which should have a higher level of standard, but to me, it doesn't make any difference.  

kshawn
Explorer C

Well good for you. It didn't impact my behavior either. However, if employees don't follow protocol you can't expect those who are anti-mask to follow protocol. My 'Vent' was an observation. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@kshawn We're sincerely sorry for letting you down and missing an opportunity to provide you with a higher level of Customer Service. All Employees should wear a mask over their noses and mouths at all times, and we regret if you noticed an inconsistency. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we recommend that you Contact Customer Relations  to document your concerns.

Nicole
Community Manager