Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with a scared 2 year old

Phachia
Explorer C

My 2 1/2 yr old just experienced her 2nd flight. The first was when she was 25 months. I noticed as a 2 1/2 yr old she has developed more awareness...especially what she's afraid off. In the last experience she was noticeably scared everytime turbalance hit or elevation change. She didn't cry, but her body would tense up and hold on to the arm chair tight and give out a little yell. She kept asking to be held or sit with me. Even though she has her own seat, can she sit on my lap if she's scared? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Traveling with a scared 2 year old

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Children two years or older should remain in their own seat, that's why the age cutoff for lap children is two. I understand the urge to comfort, but she's definitely safer buckled into her own seat. You can however put the arm rest up so there's an opportunity for her to cuddle or lean up against you. Also good to try distracting her with games, videos, or even a variety of snacks. Even the most experienced travelers still tense up a bit during turbulence,  but hopefully she can learn through experience that there's nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Phachia wrote:

My 2 1/2 yr old just experienced her 2nd flight. The first was when she was 25 months. I noticed as a 2 1/2 yr old she has developed more awareness...especially what she's afraid off. In the last experience she was noticeably scared everytime turbalance hit or elevation change. She didn't cry, but her body would tense up and hold on to the arm chair tight and give out a little yell. She kept asking to be held or sit with me. Even though she has her own seat, can she sit on my lap if she's scared? Thanks!

It's not just kids that get a little tense at times. 

I'll echo @TheMiddleSeat that it may help to reinforce that the safest place in turbulence is seated and with the seatbelt buckled - that will echo the flight attendants giving their directions and the pilot who turns on the seatbelt light overhead.

Although comforting, sitting on your lap would not be as safe for her.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

hungodd94
Explorer C

I think that you should give her some distractions to relief her scare of the turbalance like watching cartoon or playing with her with some hand games....