Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with a straight leg

crg
Explorer C

Recently had an unexpected knee surgery and need to keep my leg straight in a brace while traveling. I am fairly tall at 6’3”. Wondering if the front row seats have enough room or if there is any other way to accommodate my issue. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Traveling with a straight leg

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

Bulkhead (front row) seats would probably work.

Be sure to preboard and let the gate attendant know that you'll need bulkhead seating. 

wahyd
Explorer C

My advise to you is to travel in wheelchair accessible vehicle. it is the best transport for handicaps or people having some physical issues.

Andysouthwest
Adventurer C

I am in the same situation for an upcoming flight. Does anyone know the length of leg room available? I always preboard because of disability issues. I am concerned a passenger with a dog will take the front seat as I witness this happening often. I contacted Southwest but they said it would be over 30 days for a response. I fly in two weeks, thanks

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Andysouthwest wrote:

I am in the same situation for an upcoming flight. Does anyone know the length of leg room available? I always preboard because of disability issues. I am concerned a passenger with a dog will take the front seat as I witness this happening often. I contacted Southwest but they said it would be over 30 days for a response. I fly in two weeks, thanks

Are you allergic to dogs? Or just that there might be competition for the bulkhead row? The operations agent and the Flight Attendants would need to sort out the priority for the bulkhead row at the time of boarding, there isn't any master list of the pre-boarders other than quantity.

The staff have been known to re-arrange people when necessary. 

If you've preboarded before you should have a rough idea what's available?

Seats 1A, 1B, and 1C would be your best bets if on a 737-700.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-700_new.php?fligh...

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I would argue you will have more legroom in a normal seat versus the bulkhead as you can put your leg under the seat and stretch out.  When you are in the bulkhead there's a wall and there's (obviously) no going past it.  If you're really lucky you can try to get the infinite legroom seat, it's the seat at the emergency exit row that does not have a seat in front of it.  As it is an emergency exit row seat preboarding would prevent you from being able to sit there so Business Select or upgraded boarding in the A1-15 positions would be your best bet.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

re: as an exit row seat  occupant ..

He would have to certify that he is physically capable of helping to evacuate the plane -- if needed...