Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with an Infant

815Oceanic
Explorer C

How do I notify Southwest that I am traveling with an infant? Is it safe to keep the child on my lap during the flight?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Traveling with an Infant

camatuse
Adventurer B

Please book your flight contacting a Customer Service Representative at  1(800) 435-9792. Currently, you are unable to book for infants online.

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hey,

You can get an infant fare by calling Southwest directly. With an infant fare you are able to use your car seat if you choose.

You are allowed to hold your child in your lap if he or she is under 2. But ... I always say, "they lock down the coffee, why not lock down my kid." I realize this isn't always an option for various reasons, but to your safety quesiton ... it is much safer to put your infant in the car seat.

More on infant travel here: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/family/baby-on-board-pol.html

evrosado
Explorer C

When my daughter was an infant I always traveled with her on my lap.  When I was traveling from Guatemala with my 5 month old son that I adopted, he traveled on my lap. Very safe.  In December I will be traveling with my grand daughter who will be 7 months old.  I made my reservation online and then contacted customer service.  They added her to the return trip and also told me to bring a copy of her birth certificate, which they use to verify age.