Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with an odd object

Maria2017
Explorer C

I'm curious, I've never flown with anything other than checked bags and carry-on items. However, my next upcoming trip could allow me a new experience, but I'm not sure if it's allowed, or how to go about doing it?

I will be traveling back home from a visit with my family, in which they have graciously gifted a vacuum for our new house. So, I guess my question is, can I fly the vacuum with me? If so, how? Or wold it simply be easier to ship it back home to myself?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Traveling with an odd object

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Will it be new in the original box?

I'm leaning towards shipping, yes you could probably check it either for free or more likely for oversize fee, or even possibbly as freight.

I think these may be costly and/or risky options in terms of handling compared to shipping it if the timing of having it at your house isn't critical, where the guarantee for delivery from a shipping company wouldn't require you to notify them of damage within four hours of arrival for instance.

Anyway - you should at least do the screening analysis for what the cost would be to ship it so you can make an informed decision on cost and risk of damage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Traveling with an odd object

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

I agree with @DancingDavidE, you need to consider the cost/risk of checking it vs alternatives. If it's not in a box you'll need to get it boxed. Here are Southwest size and weight rules:

Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item

I recently checked a popcorn machine, a small version of something like you would see at a movie theater without any problems. It was well packed in a box.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!