Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with cremated remains

dwhite759
Explorer C

I understand SWA policy on carrying on human ashes, but curious if anyone had experience with TSA. Again I know the policy regarding type of container. I am wondering if the ashes, correctly boxed, travel through x-ray without trouble? I have a fear based on TSA stories I read of having difficulty and end up having to make other shipping arrangements last minute.  thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Traveling with cremated remains

westard
Explorer C

Check with the funeral home or the crematory. They should be able to give you the correct container. Here is the link to the TSA web page for further information.. https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2004/09/07/tsa-partners-funeral-homes-safely-transport-cremated-re...

ecanem
Explorer C
Solution

I have traveled with cremated remains.  They were in a platic sealed box and inside the box was a bag.  I told the TSA, the xrayed them and didn't give me any trouble.  

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience, @ecanem. We appreciate you being a part of the Community and providing info that will help other travelers experiencing a sensitive situation. 

jeffboulton
Explorer C

Is there a need to notify the airline ahead of time, or just show up?

thanks

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No indication that you need to notify Southwest:

Southwest Airlines will not accept human remains as checked baggage; however, a Customer may take cremated remains onboard a domestic U.S. or international flight as a carryon item under certain conditions. We recommend that cremated remains be presented for transport in a temporary plastic or cardboard container.
Note: Customers may take cremated pet remains onboard as carryon items under the same conditions.

dwhite759
Explorer C

Thank you.  That's what I was looking to hear.  As long as I have correct container I shouldn't have an issue.