Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with limited mobility

courtneygremmel
Explorer C

I'm traveling with my grandma soon but she has limited mobility (she uses a wheelchair). I wanted to see if she'd be able to pre-board, or if there's anything else I need to do to make sure she's able to get on the plane without a problem?

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Traveling with limited mobility

LisaGoode
Employee
Employee
Solution

Southwest is one of the best airlines for people who have a disability or limited mobility! At most airports, wheelchair assistance is available at curbside.  You can add wheelchair assistance request to your reservation online or ask an agent over the phone to add it to the reservation.  When you get to the airport, just alert a skycap or Southwest Agent that your grandmother needs a wheelchair to get to the gate.  They will assist her throughout the airport, even stopping at the restroom or a place to eat so long as there is enough time prior to boarding.  I have used this service when traveling with my grandmother and it made life so much easier!

pcnuez
Explorer C

SOUTHWEST IS THE BEST!  - I recently booked round trip air travel from TPA to PHX  to TPA for my father (95 yrs. old and still going strong!) who will be visiting my brother in Phoenix.  Apparently I must have overlooked the online wheelchair assistance request feature.  I called Southwest but was unable to select the appropriate menu option.  Can stilI add this request, online to the reservation?  My father is traveling on September 17.  Thanks for your reply. Regards, pcnuez

baudwalk
Explorer C

Our experience ihas been all we have to do is ask a SWA rep at a stand by the wheelchairs, just inside the curbside doors, for assistance. Any problems haven't been SWA's fault, but in busy times, it has taken a while to get to get attendants to move us through the airport maze to the gate. The attendants are employees of a separate company contracting with the airport. SWA employees help us down the runway from the gate to the plane. HTH

Tinalo
Explorer C

We already booked the flight online, my husband need a wheel chair now because he just had an accident, what shall we do ? Thanks. Tina

georgEg
Explorer C

@Tinalo wrote:

We already booked the flight online, my husband need a wheel chair now because he just had an accident, what shall we do ? Thanks. Tina

I have a bad bac

rainne
Explorer C

when i booked my flight there was no place asking you if you need a wheelchair which i will.should i call im new to this

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @rainne,

Yes, you can call our Customer Relations Department and have them add a wheelchair assistance request to your reservation. The phone number is 1-855-234-4654.

Hugsrneat
Explorer C

I have Sciatic problems in my back...and even though I can walk short distances...the last time I flew, the distance to the gate...became painful.  I don’t know if I need a wheel chair but I could really use some type of ride to the gate.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Hugsrneat wrote:

I have Sciatic problems in my back...and even though I can walk short distances...the last time I flew, the distance to the gate...became painful.  I don’t know if I need a wheel chair but I could really use some type of ride to the gate.  

Hello. Me too, but my sciatica isn't as bad as yours, apparently.

You can call customer relations and have them add "needs wheelchair": to your reservation.

855-234-4654.