Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with my 7 and 9 year old kids.

tdaniels99
Explorer C

I booked my kids a flight with me on a "Wanna Get Away" fare. What documentation do we need for TSA and Southwest to show proof of age and identity? They are 7 and 9 years old.

Also, does Southwest off priority seating when traveling with kids?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Traveling with my 7 and 9 year old kids.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

On a Wanna Get Away fare no proof of age or other documentation is required for anyone under 18 years of age. 

Family Boarding which allows for families with kids age 6 and under is done between the A and B boarding groups. As your kids are 7 and 9 you would all board in your assigned boarding positions. Check-in 24 hours prior to departure or purchase EarlyBird Check-In to get your boarding position. If for some reason your boarding positions are not sequential, you can all board together at the highest (worst) boarding number. 

Enjoy your flight!

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A

@tdaniels99 wrote:

They are 7 and 9 years old.

Also, does Southwest off priority seating when traveling with kids?

The official policy is that they will be treated like any other adult passenger.

Customer | Home airport DCA

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

If it's important that any or all of you sit together, and it would be for me with kids this age, then you should consider booking on an airline that lets you reserve your seats in advance. SWA does not. If you go with SWA then at least purchase the Early Bird for all three tickets. Early Bird won't guarantee you A or B assignments but it might help.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As I originally suggested, checking in 24 hours prior or purchasing EarlyBird should provide boarding positions that will allow for 3 people to sit together without a problem. No need to advocate for switching to a different airline. 

--TheMiddleSeat

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

You are right TheMiddleSeat. Depending on the flight, the number of pre boarders and family boarders, and A1-15 boarders, purchasing Early Bird and checking in exactly 24 hours in advance will probably get a good enough position to find three unoccupied and non-saved seats together.

But if if were my kids I wouldn't chance it.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

But if if were my kids I wouldn't chance it.

Southwest is great for many travelers but there are some situations where it's not perfect for everyone.  I agree that this is one of those situations that could potentially produce a rare but unhappy outcome.

Customer | Home airport DCA