Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with perishables

lhillard
Explorer C

I am just wondering how exactly to pack frozen meats to bring to relatives that we are going to visit. My husband wants to bring venison with us. We have never flown before so we are unsure how we should pack it and just looking for suggestions from someone who may have done this before.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Traveling with perishables

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @lhillard,

Thanks for asking your question in the Southwest Community!

Southwest Airlines accepts seafood (including fresh seafood, shrimp, fish of all kinds, live lobsters, live crabs, and live crawfish), meat, fowl, game, and other perishable foods for transportation as checked baggage. Items must be packed in sturdy, leak-proof containers or wrapped in heavy plastic, and bags must be securely sealed to prevent leakage. Styrofoam or other plastic foam containers are not acceptable, and shipments packed in wet ice will also not be accepted unless the ice is contained in sealed polyethylene (Ziploc) bags. Please know that all items are subject to inspection by Southwest Employees and will be transported as a “limited release” item, which means we assume no liability for damage or spoilage during transport.

Happy Travels!

monica197710
Explorer C

I'm traveling from texas to Los Angeles but on my way back I what to bring with me raw frozen shrimp...how can I bring it with me??  

BWilliams1819
Explorer C

I want to transport several pounds of frozen meat on an upcoming flight. Is dry ice allowed to keep it cold? Will the container need to be opened and inspected prior to acceptance? Thanks for your help!

franktravel
Aviator B

Seafood and other perishable items

Packing Rules

Seafood (including fresh seafood, shrimp, fish of all kinds, live lobsters, live crabs, and live crawfish), meat, fowl, game, and other perishable foods must be suitably packed in leak-proof containers. Styrofoam® or other plastic foam containers are not acceptable for frozen food or other items that may leak during transit.

• Items must be wrapped in heavy plastic, and bags must be securely sealed to prevent leakage (except when used for live seafood shipments where air flow is required).
  • Styrofoam® (or other plastic foam) inserts should be used between the plastic bag and the inner wall of the carton.
  • If the items require refrigeration, they should be packed with a self-contained refrigerant.
  • These items are subject to inspection by a Southwest Airlines Employee and will be subject to limited release. (Southwest assumes no liability for damage sustained during transport.)

Refrigerants: Shipments packed in wet ice will not be accepted unless the ice is contained in sealed polyethylene bags (Ziploc® bags). Frozen gels or dry ice/carbon dioxide are the preferred refrigerants. Dry ice/carbon dioxide may be used as a refrigerant for perishables under the following limitations:

• Dry ice/carbon dioxide may not weigh more than 5.5 pounds in checked or carryon baggage.
  • The package must be designed to permit the release of carbon dioxide gas to prevent buildup of pressure.
  • The outside of the container must be marked "dry ice" or "carbon dioxide solid." The net weight of the dry ice and the contents of the package must also be shown. A Southwest Airlines Dry Ice Label (WN-659) may be used to meet these marking requirements.

Jefro67
Explorer C

How can I get an estimate for shipping my game meat ?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jefro67 wrote:

How can I get an estimate for shipping my game meat ?

Please refer to the post immediately above yours for details on how to pack your item..

If using checked baggage and the box/case weight  is under 50 pounds, then there is no cost. If the weight is between 50 and 99 pounds, then the cost is $75.  !00 pounds or more is not allowed.

You are entitled to two pieces of free check luggage, so the above would apply to each individually.