Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travelling with grandchild

MDEscobar
Explorer C

My husband and I will be traveling in July with our granddaughter to Arizona from California.  In prepartion for our trip I'd like to get everything in order and gather whatever necessary documents we will need to travel without any problem.  Are there any special permissions we need to get from her parents allowing us to travel with her and take her out of state?  Any help is apprecited.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Travelling with grandchild

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @MDEscobar,

You will not need to fill out any special paperwork to travel with your granddaughter. Enjoy your to California this summer!

CAMerrill1
Explorer C

Hello!  I have permission from my grandson's parents for him to travel with me soon.  What does he need to have for the purposes of identification?

Re: I'm 15 traveling with parents.

Noel07
Explorer C

Do I need any form of identification?

Re: I'm 15 traveling with parents.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you are traveling with parents/guardians the answer is "no" from TSA.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

If you are traveling solo then I think you would need to provide something in lieu of a driver's license such as a birth certificate, or better yet a passport.

Southwest it doesn't say here what would be needed if solo. They allow "young travelers" - where the unaccomanied minor it asks for birth certificate, but it doesn't say for the young traveler.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re:

Noel07
Explorer C

Thanks i'm traveling with parents. 🙂

ColleenKisel
Explorer C

I'm traveling with two granddaughters. What do I need to get through TSA?

SWDigits
Aviator A
"TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18."
Source: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ColleenKisel wrote:

I'm traveling with two granddaughters. What do I need to get through TSA?

Just your granddaughters Smiley LOL and your own identification.

For comfort purposes you may bring copies of their birth certificate or their medical records or any other identifying info, or a letter from the parents but this is not required by TSA if they are minors, unless they are < 2 years old and traveling as a lap child then you do need a birth certificate to verify age.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.