Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Two Carseats in one bag?

Karame08
Explorer C

Hi there! 

This will be my first time traveling with Southwest. My husband, my two children and myself are flying to DAL. I was wondering if Southwest will allow two carseats in one carseat protective bag? I'm trying to avoid spending 40 dollars when I can just spend 20 lol. 

Also, I was wondering how people transport the carseats through the airport? I have a 3 year old And a 7 month old. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Two Carseats in one bag?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Karame08 wrote:

Hi there! 

This will be my first time traveling with Southwest. My husband, my two children and myself are flying to DAL. I was wondering if Southwest will allow two carseats in one carseat protective bag? I'm trying to avoid spending 40 dollars when I can just spend 20 lol. 

If they fit comfortably in the blue bag I don’t think it matters. We’ve placed multiple items in a bag before as long as it doesn’t make it too hard to handle should be fine. Car seat and click and ride for example, or car seat plus car seat base.

If you find cheaper bags for sale elsewhere that is fine as well, you don’t have to use the Southwest bags.

@Karame08 wrote:

Also, I was wondering how people transport the carseats through the airport? I have a 3 year old And a 7 month old. 

We don’t - unless you need the car sears to transport kiddos in the airport or airplane we would check the blue bags (and everything else) at curbside before parking, then one parent and kiddos head into the airport and one adult parks the car and catches up.

One caveat is that if you find the flight to have many open seats the gate agent may suggest you to bring the car seat on for the 7 month old even if the kid is a lap child. You can’t do this on full flights without buying a ticket for the child though. In that case you’d have to gate check. 

I have seen a wheeled fold up wireframe cart before that can be used to carry the car seat with kid in it, and i did find that our Graco snug ride fits onto a smarte carte as if it were made for this purpose.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Bruce in the smarte carteBruce in the smarte carte

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

We also always check the car seats, even for our three year old. You can use a CARES harness for added protection for those kids who have their own seats. 

While you might can cram two seats in a bag, I would recommend against it to prevent damage. SW covers baby items for loss but not damage. I would think that the two car seats in one bag would be more easily damaged. 

And we purschsed our own car seat bags on Amazon; they are sturdy and have backpack style straps. Very useful!

-A List, Companion Pass holder