Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

US Department of Transportation Issues Enforcement Notice Clarifying Air Carrier Refund Requirements

SWDigits
Aviator A

Quoting from the Enforcement Notice issued today by the U.S. Department of Transportation:

"The obligation of airlines to provide refunds, including the ticket price and any optional fee charged for services a passenger is unable to use, does not cease when the flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control (e.g., a result of government restrictions)."

The full text of the Enforcement Notice is here: https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-issues-enforcement-notice-...

Customer | Home airport DCA
5 REPLIES 5

Re: US Department of Transportation Issues Enforcement Notice Clarifying Air Carrier Refund Requirem

dfwskier
Aviator A

The DOT reg I quoted over e a week ago simply said non refundable tickets are refundable in the event the airline cancels the flight.

It does not say refund non refundable tickets unless (insert reason here).

It is very unambiguous.

This says the same thing using different words.

Re: US Department of Transportation Issues Enforcement Notice Clarifying Air Carrier Refund Requirem

SWDigits
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

This says the same thing using different words.

It was reassuring to see the U.S. DOT affirm their stance given how the German and Canadian regulators punted.  Will be interesting to see how the Germany situation plays out given the EU regulations.

Customer | Home airport DCA

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Thanks for sharing. I expected the DOT would issue further guidance, glad to see that it reinforces their earlier position.

If you've been denied a refund for a flight that Southwest (or any carrier) has cancelled, escalate and insist. If still denied, consider filing a Consumer Compliant with the DOT, and/or dispute the transaction with your credit card issuer.

rrkman
Explorer C

Looks like I might have to go the DOT complaint route since Southwest cancelled my flight this morning and just refused a refund stating that the only option was credit for future flight.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You might want to contact customer relations first and DEMAND a refund.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...