Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Umbrellas

jjuarez88
Explorer C

Can an umbrella be taken on the plane in your carry-on bag?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Umbrellas

bec102896
Aviator A

I don't see why not as long as it meets the carry on baggage requirement such as height and weight (should it be a heavy umbrella) and doesn't have more than the TSA approved liquid (rain) on it 😂. But yes you should be fine I would put it in a bag (suitcase or backpack) as it is easier to deal with instead of putting it in the overhead bin by itself 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I don't see why not as long as it meets the carry on baggage requirement such as height and weight (should it be a heavy umbrella) and doesn't have more than the TSA approved liquid (rain) on it 😂. But yes you should be fine I would put it in a bag (suitcase or backpack) as it is easier to deal with instead of putting it in the overhead bin by itself 

Blake 

Good point @bec102896 - dropping it in the overhead alone is a great recipe to carry it on, and not carry it off.

I have brought a small collapsible unit that fits in the pocket of my backpack many times.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

How many years of bad luck would come from opening an umbrella in a plane?

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

--TheMiddleSeat

Less than opening a limburger and fried liver sandwich.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

--TheMiddleSeat

Less than opening a limburger and fried liver sandwich.

Mmm, limburger and fried liver...with deviled eggs on the side. That sounds delicious. Think I'll take that on my flight tomorrow. Check the boards tomorrow evening to see how it goes over with my fellow passengers.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

This thread is amazing...