Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

New Arrival

I had purchased tickets for my family to come visit me in San Francisco a while back before the outbreak occurred. Southwest is now taking a hard stand on not refunding my tickets. They would only give them back as a credit in the passengers name (which I purchased the tickets with my own card) or they can take the flight. I have two new cases that are just two blocks away from where I live now and they still had the strength to say its safe for people to travel. My parents who are in their 60s with repertory problems. They also assured since they don't fly internationally they are completely safe from any contact with the virus. That is a very bold statement. Its strange on a company that is so bent on taking care of their customers they wont take care of the situation at hand. Anyone have any idea on how I can get my money back on the tickets I bought?

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted

Re: Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

Top Contributor

At this time Southwest's standard change/cancelation policies, perhaps the most generous of all domestic airlines, remains in effect. In fact, this is what most other airlines are now implementing in response to concerns about the virus. The flight can be canceled and the original passengers have up to one year from the original purchase date to complete travel with the travel funds. There is not a cash refund option for Wanna Get Away fares. That policy could be changed if the situation worsens, but that is the current policy. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Highlighted

New Arrival

I am having the same issue where I cancelled my ticket but i had a travel fund and instead of giving me more time to travel my expiration is April 8th and they wont wont allow me t transfer. Southwest claims flexibility, yet the corona virus will still be around early April.  Surprisingly, united airlines cancelled my ticket and issues a new voucher to extend for another year. take some notes southwest. You issued a voucher due to issues on your end and now with the virus you cant extend me and my husbands voucher. very disappointing. 

Highlighted

Top Contributor
Solution

At this point NO AIRLINE is extending expiration dates on their versions of travel funds or providing refunds on non refundable tickets.

The other airlines are waiving change or cancellation fees, but Southwest has never charged those..

Keep watching. Things may change.

edit add: you could also contact SW Customer Relations Department via Twitter (@Southwestair), or phone at 1-855-234-4654 to discuss the matter

Highlighted

New Arrival

Delta gave me a full refund and all I had to do was request a refund online.

Highlighted

New Arrival

Delta gave me a full refund also...  For those impacted by SWA policies reach out to US DOT, BBB and Dept of Commerce.  Sad to see them act the way they have in the face of a national emergency.  They say loyalty takes years to build but can be lost in a minute...

Highlighted

Rising Star
Highlighted

New Arrival

I think the policy of not extending travel time is ridiculous.    Our cruise has been cancelled it is not my choice to not travel.   The President ordered an hold on all outbound cruises.   So how is this my fault and why should my family be punished because we can plan another trip with in the time frame of a year from when I bought the tickets.    

Oh and the great part is I did find us another cruise to do but it don't leave until Nov 28th  and yet in order to use our flight credit I would have to fly to and back before the 3rd of Nov.

But yet they wont extend and give me the courtesy of allowing me to do this unless I take a $100 loss on each ticket.

This is virus is a State of Emergency ordered by the President   so how can you not give people more time to replan their trip.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

I understand how frustrating this is for you.

You can always appeal to SW customer service:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Keep watching. Things are evolving in the industry on an hour by hour basis. Things may change.

Remember that you are guaranteed a refund if SW cancels your flight. So if you have not already cancelled, you might want to wait to see what happens.

Highlighted

New Arrival

I have been a member of the rapids rewards program for well over 15 years and have always been more than satisfied with their policies until now.  I can't express how frustrated I am especially in a time where everyone is losing their employment and Southwest won't issue refunds.  Here is the situation - back in January I purchased tickets for two minors, 5 and 7 coming from MD to FL.  MD issued a stay at home order so there was no way they were going to travel.  I called Southwest and go the "no can do" on a refund of funds totaling over $700.00.  I was told to cancel and funds would be held in minors names.  Really???? Who knows when they will be able to travel again.  The flight was then cancelled earlier this week altogether and government has put a mandatory refund policy in place for cancelled flights.  I called again and am being told because I proactively cancelled the reservation that they still will not give a refund even though flight cancelled and minors are involved.  I am highly disappointed in Southwest's lack of empathy in this situation for a flight that ended up getting cancelled less than a week after I cancelled the reservation due to a "stay at home" order.