Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

aespin28
Explorer C

I had purchased tickets for my family to come visit me in San Francisco a while back before the outbreak occurred. Southwest is now taking a hard stand on not refunding my tickets. They would only give them back as a credit in the passengers name (which I purchased the tickets with my own card) or they can take the flight. I have two new cases that are just two blocks away from where I live now and they still had the strength to say its safe for people to travel. My parents who are in their 60s with repertory problems. They also assured since they don't fly internationally they are completely safe from any contact with the virus. That is a very bold statement. Its strange on a company that is so bent on taking care of their customers they wont take care of the situation at hand. Anyone have any idea on how I can get my money back on the tickets I bought?

67 REPLIES 67

Re: Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

At this time Southwest's standard change/cancelation policies, perhaps the most generous of all domestic airlines, remains in effect. In fact, this is what most other airlines are now implementing in response to concerns about the virus. The flight can be canceled and the original passengers have up to one year from the original purchase date to complete travel with the travel funds. There is not a cash refund option for Wanna Get Away fares. That policy could be changed if the situation worsens, but that is the current policy. 

--TheMiddleSeat

VidhiG
Explorer C

I am having the same issue where I cancelled my ticket but i had a travel fund and instead of giving me more time to travel my expiration is April 8th and they wont wont allow me t transfer. Southwest claims flexibility, yet the corona virus will still be around early April.  Surprisingly, united airlines cancelled my ticket and issues a new voucher to extend for another year. take some notes southwest. You issued a voucher due to issues on your end and now with the virus you cant extend me and my husbands voucher. very disappointing. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

At this point NO AIRLINE is extending expiration dates on their versions of travel funds or providing refunds on non refundable tickets.

The other airlines are waiving change or cancellation fees, but Southwest has never charged those..

Keep watching. Things may change.

edit add: you could also contact SW Customer Relations Department via Twitter (@Southwestair), or phone at 1-855-234-4654 to discuss the matter

Jiggy
Explorer C

Delta gave me a full refund and all I had to do was request a refund online.

jeremysmithhome
Explorer B

Delta gave me a full refund also...  For those impacted by SWA policies reach out to US DOT, BBB and Dept of Commerce.  Sad to see them act the way they have in the face of a national emergency.  They say loyalty takes years to build but can be lost in a minute...

SWDigits
Aviator A

christynausa
Explorer C

I've HAD IT!  SOUTHWEST SUCKS!!!!

Delta refunded my tickets...NO PROBLEM!!!!

I CALLED SOUTHWEST ON 8/27/20 AND WAS ADAMANT THAT I HAVE MY TICKETS THAT WERE $298 EACH, REFUNDED.

THE CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON "JAN" ASSURRED ME THAT SHE WAS SUBMITTING MY REFUND WHILE I WAS ON THE PHONE.

SHE SAID I WOULD GET AN EMAIL CONFIRMATION...WHICH I DID NOT!!!!

THE MONEY NEVER SHOWED UP IN MY BANK ACCOUNT.  I CALLED SOUTHWEST AGAIN TODAY 9/24, THAT CUSTOMER SERVICE (WHICH IS A COMPLETE OXYMORON WHEN SPEAKING ABOUT SOUTHWEST AIRLINES!!!) "PERSON" KEPT READING THE SAME SCRIPT OVER AND OVER TO ME.  I DEMANDED TO TALK TO SOMEONE WHO COULD ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.

SHE TRANSFERRED ME TO DALLAS H.Q. (BIG WHOOP-DI-DOO!)  THIS GUY'S NAME IS DAN.  DAN WAS EVEN MORE OBNOXIOUS..READING AND RE-READING HIS SCRIPT...OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!!  SERIOUSLY??  THESE PEOPLE ARE LIKE ROBOTS...THEY CAN'T HEAR OR MORE LIKELY ARE TRAINED NOT TO LISTEN!

I EXPLAINED THAT I'M NOT STEPPING FOOT ON ANY PLANE UNTIL THE THREAT OF THIS PANDEMIC IS BEHIND US...LET ALONE, SOUTHWEST!!

AFTER MOMENTS OF UNEASY SILENCE (FOR DAN, NOT ME!) I DEMANDED TO SPEAK TO HIS BOSS.  ANOTHER SCRIPT CAME OUT OF DAN'S MOUTH...TELLING ME IT WOULDN'T MATTER WHO I TALKED WITH , IT IS THEIR POLICY....BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!

HE TOOK MY NUMBER AND I MADE HIM READ IT BACK TO ME..THEN HE SAID A SUPERVISOR WOULD CALL ME BACK A.S.A.P.  I ASKED HIM, EXACTLY WHAT DOES THAT MEAN..HE SAID WITHIN 24 HOURS.  

ALL CAPS MEANS YOU'RE YELLING.  **bleep** RIGHT, I'M MAD AS HELL!  SOUTHWEST SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@christynausa 

As I said in the message directly above yours, there are conditions that would allow for a cash refund on Southwest and other airlines.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to compare one situation to another and universally say you should get a cash refund because another airline let you have one.  There are times when a refund would be possible on Southwest, but not another airline.  You provided no details about your specific situations so I can't offer any guidance.  Again, I don't have any of your specific details, but you most likely have travel funds which don't expire until September 2022 which should give you plenty of time to travel after the pandemic situation calms down.  It is possible you ended up with travel funds that expire in 2021 which gives you a bit less time, but hopefully the travel situation is better then than it is today.

Have a nice day,

--TheMiddleSeat

carladeshon
Explorer C

I think the policy of not extending travel time is ridiculous.    Our cruise has been cancelled it is not my choice to not travel.   The President ordered an hold on all outbound cruises.   So how is this my fault and why should my family be punished because we can plan another trip with in the time frame of a year from when I bought the tickets.    

Oh and the great part is I did find us another cruise to do but it don't leave until Nov 28th  and yet in order to use our flight credit I would have to fly to and back before the 3rd of Nov.

But yet they wont extend and give me the courtesy of allowing me to do this unless I take a $100 loss on each ticket.

This is virus is a State of Emergency ordered by the President   so how can you not give people more time to replan their trip.