Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

saltmanone
Explorer B

I to have basically the same problem. Booked a group of ten people of which 9 are over the age of 70. Because I got a group rate,I would not be able to cancel this reservation and use the funds for another time during the year time period. The group of us all think this is a form of discrimination. What difference does it make as long as we use it at sometime in the future? I and other members of the group fly Southwest and have cancel before and used flights within one year of fly date. I think because we are senior citizens Southwest thinks we do not have to be treated  like other customers.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@saltmanone While group travel does provide some benefits not available to individual travelers such as free name changes and reduced up front payments, it does appear to not allow cancelations. You may want to call the group travel number to double check. This has nothing to do with age, it's a restriction of booking the flight as a group instead of individually.

--TheMiddleSeat

saltmanone
Explorer B

I have checked and what you state is true . It is my opinion that the money was paid like any other customer and thus the same options for individuals should apply to  group purchases as well. When one is given a a discount because of a bulk purchase ,options for a single purchase  apply. I just feel Southwest is discriminating. 

saltmanone
Explorer B

It seems to be that replies at this site are handled by a person know as the middle seat and a person with the name jesssica.

I am new to the site and before my current situation have liked flying Southwest, Not only just because of price The 2 bags free perk, the ability to cancel and have funds to use for up to a year from date of purchase are all great perks.

However only seeing basically the above two names that answer replies ,it is not truly a community forum.

I am known as saltmanone and ask that you look at my complaint under travel policies.

The middle seat has been the only one to reply and seems to favor Southwest.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@saltmanone

You're welcome to volunteer your time and start replying to as many posts as you would like. No one is stopping you from helping out.

The Community is not an official communication channel for Southwest and as such you will not get an official response from Southwest here, thus my reply that a call to the Group Travel number might be the best way to handle this issue. Posting complaints or suggestions in the Community does not generally accomplish anything and responses usually indicate the need to contact Southwest via phone or another channel. 

Customers like myself and the other Community Champions volunteer our time and energy to answer questions. As we are not employees we cannot enact or change policies. Additionally, no one is keeping you or anyone else from being an active member of the Community.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Do I agree that the policy not allowing changes to group travel is correct? No, but that is the current policy and I was passing that information on to you. Again, I suggest you contact the group travel folks to voice your displeasure. 

Also, as the questions regarding this policy just in this thread are coming from both a senior citizen group and a school youth group it's pretty obvious there is no age discrimination going on. That's a pretty ridiculous claim.

--TheMiddleSeat

saltmanone
Explorer B

Let me restate my discriminating claim. Whether a senior citizen or a young child ,I think my groups purchase or the children's group purchase is entitled to the same offers given a individual senior or a younger person. Our money has the same value as their money.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@saltmanone wrote:

Let me restate my discriminating claim. Whether a senior citizen or a young child ,I think my groups purchase or the children's group purchase is entitled to the same offers given a individual senior or a younger person. Our money has the same value as their money.

Making a claim of discrimination really isn't going to help you. You are being treated exactly the same as any other groups customer. Which is, being treated according to the terms of your group's purchase. Which is what you agreed to when you made the purchase. You didn't make a purchase individually, so those terms don't apply.

That said, I do feel like this is a very specific situation that may require special accommodations. It remains unclear at this point if Southwest will be making any of those. Your best bet is to continue to follow up with them directly.

As a reminder, this is essentially a customer to customer forum, and not an official customer service channel. 

bec102896
Aviator A

I’m sorry for your continued disappointment with the group travel policies. As mentioned this is primarily a customer to customer forum so I recommend reaching out to the groups department or you can reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 and maybe they can help but they will probably refer you back to the groups department.

Why do I (as a customer) think they aren’t letting you out of the group reservation? Because with group travel you get free name changes and a discount on the flights compared to those who book 8 or less online. Also once you make the final payment your locked in to the reservation as is stated in the contract that the group leader received if you cancel you will lose all funds. If you haven’t made the final payment you could cancel but you will lose the non refundable deposit. 

-Blake 

S2bx04
Explorer B

I’m so sorry to hear this! That’s terrible!