Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

sammibammy
Explorer C

I didn't know there was going to be an option to get a refund and my event I was travelling for was cancelled. So I cancelled my trip. I spent over $2000. It's not fair that now because I cancelled and not Southwest I'm ineligible for a possible refund.  We are facing uncertain times and having that money in travel funds is really difficult when you need cash to buy groceries etc. Southwest please consider this and not make this change people's minds about you as a caring organization. 

Mhansell
Explorer C

Same issue here... Template response!

Dear Michael,

We received your most recent email about your travel funds, and I am happy to reply to your concerns again.

I am disheartened to read your continued frustration in the matter. While I certainly recognize that these are challenging and unprecedented times for everyone, it remains true that we are unable to honor requests for refunds of non-refundable tickets when a Customer cancels their reservation. As mentioned in our response to your letter, given the current situation, we are making an exception to extend the validity of Customer’s travel funds in order to provide our Customers with additional flexibility. As such, your funds will now expire on September 7, 2022. 

Though I recognize this is not the resolution you are seeking, we hope that you will take advantage of this additional time to use your funds toward future travel, whether it be next month or in two years. We hope you will continue to give us the privilege of seeing you and Dina onboard.

Sincerely,
Sarah Schultz
Southwest Airlines

anas1966
Explorer C

SARAH

I UNDERSAND YOU ARE WITH SOUTHWEST. MY FUNDS EXPIRE ON OCT 6 , 2020. I DIDNT ASK FOR REFUND, I ONLY ASK FOR EXTNEDING THE FUND VALIDITY , WHICH IS THE LEAST DECENT THING SOUTWEST CAN DO IN THIS YEAR. I HAD FUNDS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE VALID FOR 12 MONTHS, WELL SO FAR MORE THAN 6 MONTHS WERE UNUSABLE AND STILL. MY REQUEST WAS REJECTED PER SOUTWEST REDICUOLOUS UNFRIENDLY POLICY. NOT OTHER AIRLINE IS DOING WHAT SOUTHWEST IS, HAD SIMILAR ISSUES WITH SPIRIT AND UNITED AND BOTH WERE MCUCH, MUCH MORE COOPERATIVE, FAIR AND DECENT IN THEIR HANDKING. SHAME ON YOU SOUTHWEST

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@anas1966 wrote:

SARAH

I UNDERSAND YOU ARE WITH SOUTHWEST. MY FUNDS EXPIRE ON OCT 6 , 2020. I DIDNT ASK FOR REFUND, I ONLY ASK FOR EXTNEDING THE FUND VALIDITY , WHICH IS THE LEAST DECENT THING SOUTWEST CAN DO IN THIS YEAR. I HAD FUNDS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE VALID FOR 12 MONTHS, WELL SO FAR MORE THAN 6 MONTHS WERE UNUSABLE AND STILL. MY REQUEST WAS REJECTED PER SOUTWEST REDICUOLOUS UNFRIENDLY POLICY. NOT OTHER AIRLINE IS DOING WHAT SOUTHWEST IS, HAD SIMILAR ISSUES WITH SPIRIT AND UNITED AND BOTH WERE MCUCH, MUCH MORE COOPERATIVE, FAIR AND DECENT IN THEIR HANDKING. SHAME ON YOU SOUTHWEST

Southwest allowed every ticket holder the ability to extend travel funds thru 9/7/22, which is better than every other airline n the country. That ability expired on 9/7/20. I guess you never heard about it.

The best you can do now is to contact customer relations and plead your case.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contact-Customer-Relations/ta-p/108355

Good luck

anas1966
Explorer C

1. its clear that 1000s didnt hear about this offer by southwest.

2. its not true that they allowed every ticket holder the chance to extend, it was limited to funds that were expiring between March and June as i recall reading after the fact, and there was a trick to get it extended by buying a and canceling, which wasnt clear at all.

so please dont patronize me, `SOUTHWEST CAME OUT THE WORST IN HANDLING SUCH MATTER. EVEN SPIRIT WERE MUCH MORE COOPERATIVE AND REASONABLE. NOT ONLY THEY EXTENDED MY CREDIT, THEY ADDED A $50 VOUCHER ON TOP OF IT. SO YES SHAME ON YOU SOUTHWEST AGAIN.

hroth82
Explorer C

I purchased 5 tickets for my family and we never fly. Will SWA let me transfer the kids' tickets to my name? The wife and I may fly in the future, but the 3 kids may not. I would rather have the refund, but I could live with this.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@MeddleSeat This constant ranting is getting tiring. I understand that you entered into a contract, and that you are unhappy with the fact that the contract is being tired. I understand that you believe that rules should not apply to you, and that you should get what you want. I understand that you are upset that others are pointing out that the rules of the contract are being followed. Please understand that other people follow rules. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. THE RULES APPLY TO YOU TOO. Have a great day. You have credit that is good for a couple of years which is beyond what the contract specified. Get some air. Take a walk. Plan a vacation for next year. 

cozeybell
Explorer C

Hello,

I also am unable to receive a refund to my credit card even though  I purchased the flight for my goddaughter which Southwest cancelled the flight due to the Pandemic.  My only request is that the credit is refunded back to my Southwest Rewards Credit Card.  

Southwest should seriously consider refunding funds to the cardholder and not the traveler.  This is unfair to the cardholder.  Southwest is refunding or giving credit to individuals that didn't purchase tickets or had any financial hardship whatsoever in the transaction.

I was instructed by a Southwest agent to email Southwest Customer Service Department requesting the credit to be transferred to my Southwest credit card.  However, I must say that the Southwest Agent said that she doubted if the Wanna Get Away funds transfer request will be approved.

Please share with me if you have any success with receiving your credit refund. 

Thank you