Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

hroth82
Explorer C

All other airlines are refunding. Our baseball team was going to Cooperstown this summer and we were flying on different airlines. All that didn't choose SWA are getting their money refunded. I don't understand why SWA wouldn't refund due to the circumstances. I have 5 tickets and we never fly, so we just lost all our money! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@hroth82 wrote:

All other airlines are refunding.   

Well, that isn't completely correct.

ALL AIRLINES are refunding tickets when THE AIRLINES cancels flights.

NO AIRLINES are refunding tickets when PASSENGERS cancel their flights.

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/50104455/covid-19-flight-waivers-and-refund-policies-by-airline...

You can always appeal SW's policy to the airline's customer relations department via Twitter (@Southwestair), or phone at 1-855-234-4654

Carenflyme
Explorer C

Sorry but u for one jet blue returned my brothers money for his flight after he canceled as well as the money he paid for luggage. It was a non refundable flight! So shame on southwest. I booked my flight to Jamaica and since my resort isn’t planning on opening til Oct 8th and that is still uncertain as we were arriving on October 24th we canceled. I didn’t get money back and have to use 1,700 in funds for us before sept 2022. Hopefully they don’t go under before that!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Carenflyme wrote:

Sorry but u for one jet blue returned my brothers money for his flight after he canceled as well as the money he paid for luggage. It was a non refundable flight! So shame on southwest. I booked my flight to Jamaica and since my resort isn’t planning on opening til Oct 8th and that is still uncertain as we were arriving on October 24th we canceled. I didn’t get money back and have to use 1,700 in funds for us before sept 2022. Hopefully they don’t go under before that!

There are conditions that would allow for a cash refund on a nonrefundable fare on Southwest just like there are on JetBlue and other airlines. If you had done a little reading here in the Community the number one thing you would have seen is DO NOT cancel your flight until a day or two before it is scheduled to depart. If Southwest had rescheduled or canceled your flight you would have been entitled to a full cash refund. Canceling almost two months before departure like you did does nothing to help you and only ensures that you end up with travel funds.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MeddleSeat wrote:

AWESOME POST. Id love to subpoena DWSKIER (top contributor) flight records. I bet he flys all the time . I challenge him to disclose if he ever got a free flight/upgrade/ gift card etc from SW

Alright here you go: I have NEVER flown a free flight on Southwest. I have NEVER received a gift card from Southwest. Southwest doesn't give "upgrades" so I've NEVER gotten one of those either.

Happy now?

Oh, and yes I do fly all the time, and pay for every one of my tickets too 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MeddleSeat wrote:

These cold blooded Top Contributors who know every loop hole just Bully me  

One final post from me, and then I'm done with you forever.

Any sane person that reads posts here will quickly see that the only person who is bullying other people   - is you.

Bye

Supetk08
Explorer C

I too had a flight for 4 scheduled in 2020 was cancelled because of covid. We were told we got a voucher for the tickets which I was fine with we knew we would be booking again. We go on vacation every year around Nov. We had to wait for Nov flights to be released.. I checked every day waiting for them. The day they were released I tried to book, and were told our credit had expired !! It had not been a year since we booked.  and southwest refused to give us our credit! That is ridiculous when there is still a pandemic going on a company refuses to give you back your money for a service they did not provide. What makes them think they deserve my money I worked hard to earn but they did nothing to earn that money!! I loved southwest but after them taking $1000 from my family I am truly upset. I don't know how they can do that. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Supetk08 Have you contacted Southwest? You didn't mention asking them for help. If you really got a voucher and not travel funds they can sometimes be extended.

--TheMiddleSeat

Supetk08
Explorer C

Yes we have contacted southwest ! They said they will give me 100$ for a credit but I lose my $900. I am fine with a credit if I get my full amount the flight we were trying to book was more than what our orginal credit was so we are willing to pay more. But not if we don't get our orginal amount in credit! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Supetk08 I would suggest putting your request in writing via the contact us link listed at the bottom of this page. Be specific about when you purchased, purchase price, and confirmation numbers, when you canceled, when you tried to purchase a new ticket, and when you plan to travel. 

--TheMiddleSeat