Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Unable to refund even with the Coronavirus

Supetk08
Explorer C

I am sorry you are going through that too. I dont know if it's anything to do with age because our ages are 42, 38, 12, 12. I  think they are just keeping everyone's money which is completely WRONG ! IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A SERVICE SOMEONE PAID FOR HOW CAN YOU KEEP THE MONEY!!! Especially since so many places were shut down and we didn't really have much choice.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Supetk08  Planes were still flying, airlines were not shut down. Southwest isn't responsible if Disneyland shuts down or a sporting event gets canceled.

--TheMiddleSeat

Supetk08
Explorer C

No but they still should NOT keep money they did not provide a service for ! And we were willing to rebook. How is that any different then going in someone's house and saying I am taking this! There is no difference ! It is stealing money period !!! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Supetk08 You chose to purchase a nonrefundable ticket that had terms that you agreed to.

As suggested earlier, contact Southwest again with the information I suggested.

--TheMiddleSeat

Supetk08
Explorer C

They have been contacted which I stated so not sure why you feel the need to be rude about a person who is upset. I hope you never have to be upset in your life about anything ! Good day! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Supetk08 I was explaining why the events you are complaining about in multiple places in the Community took place. Did you just come here to rant or receive information?

--TheMiddleSeat

Supetk08
Explorer C

I understand that the flights did not close down, but the trip we had planned did close down, so that is why we cancelled ! The biggest thing is most places are giving people at least a year to make up for thier plans dome even more.  I did come here to receive information but the way you are giving it basically is saying sucks to be you. I am telling my story so others can hear they are not the only ones and that something needs to be done about this issue. We are all dealing with stuff we never have had to deal with this is new for ALL of us even companies. So what I came here for his support for an upset customer, not to be belittled and act like I am stupid for purchasing something I was unable to use. We were told we would get a credit I was fine with that but when I go to use my credit it's gone something is not right. About that. There are lots of others going through this same issue. So yes I want information but would like more than just contact them. It's been done several times. Trying to figure out another way to solve this. Thank you. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Supetk08 If you cancelled your flight between March 1 and September 7, 2020 you should have travel funds that expire September 2022.  If you cancelled any other time the travel funds expire one year from your original purchase.  If you are experiencing something else then something isn't right.  You've claimed you did not have a year so either you are basing that year off the wrong date (perhaps date of cancellation) or something is wrong.  Travel funds have expiration dates, sorry you were not aware of that.  It pays to stay informed about any credits you may have with companies.

You can verify value and expiration of travel funds here:

https://www.southwest.com/travel-funds/

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone. This thread has gotten heated, and I want to take a moment and encourage everyone to refresh themselves on our Community User Guidelines . We want all Members to feel comfortable sharing thoughts and ideas here, and we ask that you follow the Golden Rule and treat other Community Members the way you would like to be treated. Keep your tone positive and your comments constructive.

Nicole
Community Manager

Travel Funds specific to Kauai

thieu11
Explorer C

Hi Nicole - Thought I'd try this route. We booked rt OAK to LIH (Kauai) in Oct of 2020 for a Dec 26, 2020 flight date. Had to cancel because of COVID. Rebooked for March 2021 but could not travel to Kauai because Kauai was closed (they literally were not allowing tourism). Looked at dates in August and was about to rebook, but Kauai closed yet again. Now, we want to go in January of 2022, but our funds will now expire at the end of October 2021 because Oct 2020 is when we made the original reservation. Make sense?

I called just service and was instructed to send an email, which I did. I received a stock response that in no way referred to the content of what I wrote (I'm asking for an extension on the expiration of my funds because the detonation SW flies to has been closed for much of the last year).

Here's the response:

We realize that things did not go as planned during your recent travel with us. It’s important to us that you have a good experience, and I want to take this opportunity to apologize for your disappointment.

During the summer months when our flights are booked to capacity, any delay, especially a weather delay can create disruptions and limit recovery options in the days to follow. Our aircraft and Crew Members become displaced and must be rescheduled, and flights may have to wait for a gate to become available due to delayed departures.

Ultimately, we know these disruptions created a lot of frustration and disappointment for our Customers who may miss special moments and events. From the ticket counters to our Baggage Service Offices, we know you depend on us throughout your journey, and we realize the crucial role that our frontline Employees serve in communicating and in going “the extra mile” to help our Customers. We are working to staff the right number of Employees in the right areas, at the right time, and we have Teams across the Company working to ensure we provide the level of service you expect.

Along with my sincere apologies for your overall experience, I am sending you a $150.00 Southwest LUV Voucher as an invitation to fly with us again. The voucher will come in a separate email within the next 30 days and include instructions for use.

We are grateful for your business, and we look forward to welcoming you back onboard again soon.

Any suggestions on where to take this? Thanks.