Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unaccompanied Minor

Wtfsouthwest
Explorer C

My unaccompanied minor is supposed to fly out tomorrow and I heard rumors that they are not allowing UMs to fly, but that was 2 days ago. I can’t get ahold of anyone at southwest to verify if that is correct. Has anyone else heard anything about this issue today?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Unaccompanied Minor

Wtfsouthwest
Explorer C

Update: I finally got ahead of someone at southwest after hours on hold, they are not allowing UMs to fly. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I have not heard they are not allowed. If the flight includes a stop I would not suggest the trip be attempted. If the flight is non-stop, since an adult has to remain at the gate until the plane departs I don't see any harm in completing the flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

Wtfsouthwest
Explorer C

This is due to all of the delays and cancellations going on right now. It looks like they updated the website. 

Unaccompanied Minors age five (5) through eleven (11) years old will not be accepted for carriage, and Young Travelers age twelve (12) through seventeen (17) will only be accepted on non-stop flights due to anticipated operational disruptions.”

https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_202211201671555409645.html?clk=TRAVEL-...