Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unequal travel credit, and cannot apply travel funds from cancelled ticket

UghSWA
Explorer C

Used a voucher to partially pay for a nonrefundable flight, then cancelled it. Funds were credited back in the form of travel funds (not back to the voucher), so are now restricted to the two people the tickets were for.

I'm booking a different flight now for the same two people. I cannot use the travel funds even though the people are the same--entering the cancelled flight's confirmation number gives me "Confirmation Number and/or Passenger Name incorrect (SW500102)." There cannot be an issue with the middle name because I don't have one, and I'm trying this with my travel funds.

On top of that, the amount I was credited back was ~$100 but $95 was given to one person while $5 was given to the other person. Why was it done this way? Does this mean that I cannot use the $100 of credit for two $50 tickets, and that each ticket has to be at least $95 for us to use the credit? This is horribly executed and makes me feel like the airline is just money grubbing.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Unequal travel credit, and cannot apply travel funds from cancelled ticket

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Call customer service.  I had an issue and couldn't cancel a flight for my husband because duplicate confirmation numbers had been issued and I received the same kind of error.  Maybe this is the same thing you have in your account.  This happened because of the conversion to the new system. 

Not sure why the credits were issued like they were.  

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @UghSWA,

This more than likely has to do with the way the voucher payment was distributed across the reservation. It sounds like one of the tickets was fully covered by the voucher, and a very small portion was used to cover the second ticket. The remainder of the second ticket was probably paid for with a credit card. 

Funds must always remain with the person to whom they originally belonged. So, in other words, your funds can be applied to a new reservation for you, and the other person's funds can be applied to a new reservation for him/her. We're proud to be able to offer Customers a friendly policy that allows them to use their funds for a full year. Just keep in mind, travel must be completed by the expiration date, not just booked. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, if using a voucher for a 2-passenger itinerary, Southwest's software will apply the funds first to one passenger and then, whatever is left, to the other passenger, instead of splitting it 50/50. So, if you later cancel, the ticketles travel funds will now be distributed (and locked by name) in that same way. 😞