Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unfair Cancellation Policy

Travelocity12
Explorer C

I had a round trip ticket to Richmond, VA from Atlanta. I made it to the ticket counter approximately 35 minutes before take-off time of 3:05 PM and was told by the ticket agent that I would not make my flight. Because Southwest didn't have another flight before 9:45 PM, I booked on another airline. After arrival in Richmond, I received an email that because I didn't cancel (even though I had gone to the SW ticket counter), I had forfeited any credits and my RETURN flight had also been canceled with NO REFUND or CREDIT! So now I'm stuck in Richmond with no return flight the next day! Who does that???? When I sent in a complaint on the SW website, I received a canned response. I'm using my credits and never flying SW again. The absolute nerve!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Unfair Cancellation Policy

floridaguy
Aviator C

This is totally your fault.  Get to the airport TWO HOURS before the flight time.

You didn't so you missed the flight.  You should have cancelled but you didn't.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Every airline would have done the same thing to you. When you no show a flight, then everything else on the itinerary also cancels. The fact that you visited a ticket counter is immaterial. You should have cancelled the outbound flight - thus preserving the return flight and giving you a travel credit for the portion you cancelled..

Why were you even at the ticket counter? Unless checking bags, there was no need. And even if you had bags, you could have taken them to the gate to be gate checked.

I guess if it had been me, I would have sprinted to the gate to try to get the original flight. It's not that Richmond is a huge airport. with long walks. If I missed it, then I would have been put on the later flight - which I could have then cancelled.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Every airline would have done the same thing to you. When you no show a flight, then everything else on the itinerary also cancels. The fact that you visited a ticket counter is immaterial. You should have cancelled the outbound flight - thus preserving the return flight and giving you a travel credit for the portion you cancelled..

Why were you even at the ticket counter? Unless checking bags, there was no need. And even if you had bags, you could have taken them to the gate to be gate checked.

I guess if it had been me, I would have sprinted to the gate to try to get the original flight. It's not that Richmond is a huge airport. with long walks. If I missed it, then I would have been put on the later flight - which I could have then cancelled.

I think they were starting in ATL, which although I also would have tried to make it, I have been in 20 to 30 minute PreCheck lines. That was me and 60,000 of my closest friends all leaving a convention at the same time though.

When the whole itinerary is canceled do you not get travel funds for the return trip?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Travelocity12 wrote:

I had a round trip ticket to Richmond, VA from Atlanta. I made it to the ticket counter approximately 35 minutes before take-off time of 3:05 PM and was told by the ticket agent that I would not make my flight. Because Southwest didn't have another flight before 9:45 PM, I booked on another airline. After arrival in Richmond, I received an email that because I didn't cancel (even though I had gone to the SW ticket counter), I had forfeited any credits and my RETURN flight had also been canceled with NO REFUND or CREDIT! So now I'm stuck in Richmond with no return flight the next day! Who does that???? When I sent in a complaint on the SW website, I received a canned response. I'm using my credits and never flying SW again. The absolute nerve!

Can you go to this link and verify that you don't have any travel credit?

https://www.southwest.com/travel-funds/?clk=GSUBNAV-AIR-TRAVELFUNDS

One possible interpretation here is that since you didn't say you were going to cancel it, the agent thinks you'll go on through and see if you make it (I've made it before in this amount of time at Midway, with PreCheck but Atlanta can be a mess even with PreCheck so it's possible that it would be impossible unless you asked to go to the front of the line) and unless there are some other circumstances such as needing a wheelchair or that checked bags wouldn't make it.

Then if you go through you might make it, might not and ask for accommodation at the gate on that next flight if not.

I know the whole itinerary gets canceled if you no-show (Pro-tip: always book one-ways) but I had been under the impression you got travel credit for that later flight.

If you had the email in Richmond while you were still at RIC it would have helped to talk to someone in person there. There is the "flat tire rule" where there is some leeway if you address the no-show in the first few hours after the flight was scheduled.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I feel your pain but really cannot agree with your assessment of SWA's policy.

#1. You showed up late. SWA starts boarding their flights 30 minutes before departure, Atlanta TSA screening takes anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes for TSA-Pre. Regular screening I could not even guess how long it takes. Plus the tram ride and walk to the gate = NO chance of making it. If you attempted to check bags that was likely the catalyst for the ticket agent saying you were too late, but you did not say if you had baggage so that is a guess on my part. Not Unfair on SWA's part, you were too late and you knew it since you went to the counter.

#2. You were at the ticket agent counter and elected not to change your flight to the offered 09:45pm SWA flight AND you did not cancel your flight. Why Not? Instead you elected to use another airline to get to Richmond. So YOU walked away from the counter without cancelling your outbound flight. Again Not Unfair. 

#3. Your reservation got cancelled because you did not cancel your outbound flight per SWA's policy. This is 100% your responsibility. Again Not Unfair.

I do wish you safe travels, but the responsibility for your situation is looking back at you in the mirror. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Most of the time I am sympathetic to people who feel cheated by Southwest.  I've been a promoter of more goodwill given the Holiday DISASTER and basically, cutting people some slack.

However, getting to the ticket counter 35 minutes prior to departure is completely implausible.  Every airline in the country tells you to arrive at the airport two hours before your flight departs.  Yes, sometimes you have an hour or more to spare, but when you cut it closer, you just end up with messed up plans, like yours.

You should have arrived earlier.  If you couldn't then work with Southwest.  Had you cancelled your flight you could have preserved a flight credit.  Instead, it sounds like you went off in a huff and put yourself in financial loss.

Get to the airport on time.