Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unused travel funds

ynotbyoungs
Explorer C

I have over $200 in unused travel funds and they are from the airfare price dropping seven different times. I just tried to make a reservation using these funds and they are saying I can only use two methods of payments and that would be seven methods of payments. Has anyone ever ran into this and is there a way around it? This is very frustrating considering I only fly twice a year and will never use those funds before they expire. 

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Unused travel funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ynotbyoungs wrote:

I have over $200 in unused travel funds and they are from the airfare price dropping seven different times. I just tried to make a reservation using these funds and they are saying I can only use two methods of payments and that would be seven methods of payments. Has anyone ever ran into this and is there a way around it? This is very frustrating considering I only fly twice a year and will never use those funds before they expire. 

If you only fly twice a year, I presume you rebooked one flight 7 times - each giving you a reduction in fare. If that statment is true, then all 7 fare reductions are tied to one confirmation number. So you don't have 7 forms of payment, you have 1.

ynotbyoungs
Explorer C

Exactly what I told them. But, they still claim that is seven forms of payment. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@ynotbyoungs wrote:

If you only fly twice a year, I presume you rebooked one flight 7 times - each giving you a reduction in fare. If that statment is true, then all 7 fare reductions are tied to one confirmation number. So you don't have 7 forms of payment, you have 1.

Please confirm or deny that what I described happened.

edit add: You can check he value of travel funds here:

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

edit add #2

You didn't cancel your flight 7 times and then book a new flight 7 times did you? That would give you 7 different confirmation numbers.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Yeah...that sounds weird. Are you trying to combine it with a LUV voucher?

If not, I bet a quick call to customer service would get you squared away; see Contact Us below. I had a situation recently where I had rebooked so many times for price drops that there was an error with my funds. They fixed it for me!

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

ynotbyoungs
Explorer C

I called them at the 1-800-435-9792 number and they said there is nothing they can do. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Could you add more detail?  You much have seven DIFFERENT travel funds for them to not be able to use it all.

If you had made seven CHANGES -- as SW describes them -- then all the funds would be held under one conf number.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

ynotbyoungs
Explorer C

No, I never cancelled any flights, I changed them to the exact same flight to get the reduction. I already knew how to look up unused travel funds and it shows all of them with the exact same confirmation number. I have spoken to SW and hopefully we have a resolution, but I won't know until the day after my returning flight. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have a suggestion.. This will establish whether or not your 7 changes are useable with one confirmation number.

Try starting the process of booking a flight online that you won't take. DO NOT complete the process of booking the flight. The flight should cost more than the total of your travel funds.

When you get to the payment page, use travel funds as your first option. Use your 6 digit confirmation number and the traveller name tied to that number.  When you do I expect it to show that the system is allowing you to use the total of your 7 change related travel fund amounts.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Hopefully customer relations was able to help you. We have had reports previously of multiple "travel funds" existing under a single confirmation number, but this is the first I've heard of it involving only a single passenger. Please do come back and let us know how it all works out, and what specifically they were able to do for you. Good luck.