Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unused travel funds

errincj
Explorer C

I found out that I have cancer and had to cancel a trip. I am now about to go through radiation and we are trying to get my sister from Arizona to Missouri to help me through the process. Is there anyway I can use my unused ticket to help book a ticket for her? And if not then WHY?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Unused travel funds

franktravel
Aviator B

Here is some information that may be helpful to you.

Tickets are Nontransferable. Tickets, and any travel credit issued for unused Tickets, are nontransferable unless specified explicitly on the Ticket.

Requesting a Refund

You may request a refund in the following ways:

For refundable1 Ticketless flight reservations only:

If your outbound flight has not departed, you may submit a refund request:
online at Southwest.com. To begin this process, you will first need to cancel your flight reservation
by calling our Reservations Department at 1-800-435-9792
by calling Customer Relations at the telephone number below
by writing to our Refunds Department at the address below
If your outbound flight has departed, you may submit a refund request:
by calling Customer Relations at the number below

If you previously cancelled your reservation online at Southwest.com and did not request a refund at that time, you may submit a request:
by calling Customer Relations at the number below
For nonrefundable reservations within 24 hours of booking:
If you call or cancel online at Southwest.com within 24 hours of booking, Southwest will offer you the option of refunding the airfare back to the original form of payment, or retaining the credit to be used toward future travel.

For all other refund requests, including refund exceptions on nonrefundable travel and refund consideration on all "paper" tickets, you may:
Write to our Refunds Department at the address below.

Notes

1 Not all reservations are refundable. Depending on the type of fare you purchased, you may not be eligible for a refund.

All refund requests submitted in writing to the Refunds Department should include your unused ticket or, if your reservation was confirmed as Ticketless Travel, proof of purchase and/or the confirmation number is required. Customers calling Southwest to request a refund or to research travel funds for a specific ticket must provide their confirmation number, ticket number or flight information (date, origin and destination).

Additional Refund Information

Unused, fully refundable tickets that do not carry restrictions may be applied toward future travel or refunded within one year from the date of issue.
All eligible refunds are provided according to your original form of payment.
Refunds for tickets purchased with credit cards will be credited to the same credit card.
Our Refunds Department will process an eligible refund to the original credit/debit card within seven business days from the date we receive your request.
Your card-issuing bank may then take up to ten business days to post the credit to your account. Based on your individual billing cycle, you will see the refund on your statement within one to two statement mailings.

International Travel

At this time, our no-show policy does not apply to itineraries that include international flights. If you do not make your flight, the amount of your original purchase will be held for future use in the form of reusable travel funds. Unused, fully refundable tickets, that do not carry restrictions may be applied toward future travel or refunded within one year from the date of issue.

Contact Information

Southwest Airlines
Refunds Department
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649

Southwest Airlines
Customer Relations
1-855-234-4654

Re: Unused travel funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You can't, but you should be able to request a refund due to the circumstances. And then book her a flight separately.

Good luck, best wishes with everything.