Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Updated Children Under 5 Guidance? - 2021

imyourmommynow
Explorer C

March 2021 - Any updated SWA Children under 5 Guidance? 

All be it entertaining, I also am in fear of posting this and inciting the lunacy that is "COVID Debates"; but here we go...

My daughter will be turning 2 in October 2021. We have a family wedding to attend in November 2021 that will require flying as driving is off the table, and my daughter will be one month over the 'age limit' for flying without a mask. I have read the previous posts and rants that have comments like; "just charter a flight" (ok Bezos, relax), "if you can't comply, don't fly", and "then just drive if that's big of an issue". So let me paint a portrait for SWA and the Ignorant Comment Kings and Queens; you would have an easier time bathing a feral cat, then putting a mask on a 2 year old. You would have a easier time clipping the nails of a wild brown bear. You would have an easier time putting a mask on mountain lion, then putting a mask on a 2 year old. 

As of March 2021, one year of COVID, 82 million US citizens have received the first dose of the vaccine (as of 3/23/21) and 29 million US citizens have contracted COVID (and have sustained an immunity). Quick math, 111 million US citizens are 'immune' (assuming they get their final doses) out of the 331 million citizens of the United States, 35% of the US is immune/vaccinated. Of the 331 million US citizens there are 74.2 million children (under 18). So technically, about 43% of ADULT US citizens are immune/vaccinated. 

Given the new data and research, coupled with the on-going effort to vaccinate the US citizens. Will there be an update in guidance for children under 5 anytime soon? The WHO recommends masks for children over 5, not 2, this being my sticking point for updated compliance. Will Southwest Airlines be updating their regulations and restrictions on COVID travel information in the near future? The SWA COVID Travel Information is quite stale. 

I am well aware we will not be flying for another 8 months, and a lot can change between now and then. But I (as well as countless others) feel like this topic needs to be broached sooner than later, SWA needs to understand that a two year old only comprehends/speaks about 50 words, can only string 2-4 words together, and (according to the CDC website) are socially developing the ability to show defiant behavior. Good luck getting a mask to stay on during the terrible twos. 

Let the comment berating begin...

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Updated Children Under 5 Guidance? - 2021

jksobonya
Aviator A

Greetings,

As of this very moment, masks are required for children 2 and older and they aren't making exceptions to this rule. However, mask mandates are slowly being relaxed in certain states as the vaccine rolls out, and November is 8 months away. I would hope and pray that by then we aren't wearing masks any longer, but, we will have a clearer answer as the months progress. Southwest will provide us with any official updates in the interim.

And - for what it's worth - I've always personally believed that small children should not be wearing masks. I personally would make the mask rule for children 5 and older - or maybe even older than that, but I don't make any of the rules, I just follow them 😉 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

SW has issued updated requirements for exemption from the mask policy

Those that do not qualify for an  exemption must, by federal law, wear a mask.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol....

Krissi1956
Explorer C

Anything under 5 years of age is absurd!

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

I sincerely doubt that anyone on this forum knows whether there will be a change in federal requirements and/or Southwest policy next week let alone months from now.

Krissi1956
Explorer C

Exactly!

And these little kids, per prior CDC guidelines, have been held at home for most of their actual life. There is no way they understand putting on a mask when they leave their house. It is very scary and extremely ridiculous to require that at this point!

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@imyourmommynow wrote:

It's a federal law.

Until that changes, Southwest is required to enforce it.

Instead of posting here, which does absolutely zero, try directing your comments to your Senator, or perhaps the Department of Transportation.

I'd recommend though that you skip the insults and check your tone if you expect to be taken seriously.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Our little guy who hasn’t flown yet during pandemic will happily grab his mask when we head outside. 

if the habit is to wear it when in public then a kid can pick up mask wearing. 

Will he wear it constantly on a flight? I guess we’ll find out in April. Other kids on my recent flight were able to do it.

The idea that they all can’t do it is an exaggeration. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

imyourmommynow
Explorer C

Any suggestions on how you got your child to at least try it? My daughter won’t even let me get one ear strap on before ripping it off lol 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@imyourmommynow wrote:

Any suggestions on how you got your child to at least try it? My daughter won’t even let me get one ear strap on before ripping it off lol 

We definitely had one advantage, he was starting to have the mask when he was one and a half but only in short times and with supervision, so by the time he was two it was hanging on a hook by the door and he knows grabbing the mask means going outside so we can't keep him away from it.

Consistency I think was key, he always had to wear it to leave our apartment, so he got used to it fairly quickly. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.