Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Updated Children Under 5 Guidance? - 2021

imyourmommynow
Explorer C

There are no insults, there is no tone, just a mother expressing her frustration. Last I checked, we are all entitled to have open discussions and discourse at our own free will. If I choose to mock ignorant commenters I can, just as you can shun ignorant mothers for pointless posts on a blog. 

With that said, I agree with you. I like the idea of reaching out to a higher authority. I had seem some “high traffic” blogs that received the attention of SWA representatives and thought posting here could refresh the discussion. However, perhaps composing a formal letter and citing statistics, then FWD to FAA or Sentors is a better use of my time. 

Thank you, not being facetious, that’s actually good advice. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

While I agree that under is probably not necessary (or perhaps reasonable), there has to be a cutoff. No matter what that cutoff is, people are going to complain. If it was 5, we would be hearing that same thing from parents of 5 year olds. My daughter is 8, by the way, and she has been flying since she was a few month old including to the Middle East, South America, and South Africa (twice, once at 18 months).

As I've noted before, the most opposition to mask requirements are from the infrequent flyers. I have to fly every week if I'm going to keep working. I favor as strict of masking mandates as possible. You want to attend a wedding with your daughter. I want to feed my daughter without leaving her fatherless. Different perspectives.

Sha20vs
Explorer C

A couple things. I fly frequently and find the mask mandate of 2 year olds to be ridiculous. Children under the age of 9 are not high risk for transmission of the virus or catching it. This was word for work from our pediatricians mouth, which is why there has not been a large spread in daycares or elementary schools. 

secondly, if you’re worried about a 2 year old giving you the virus don’t sit by them. 9/10 they aren’t wearing a mask properly even if they have it on. 

thirdly, get vaccinated 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Sha20vs wrote:

The federal law   is masks for all that are 2+ years old - what your pediatrician says does not alter that.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you honestly think your initial comment lacked insults, and used an appropriate tone for civil discussion, I'd suggest you read your own words again.

Hopefully going forward you'll consider all of my advice. I do honestly wish you good luck.

cmcarpen78
Explorer B

Why would Southwest be required to follow the federal law when other airlines AKA Delta does not?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cmcarpen78 wrote:

Why would Southwest be required to follow the federal law when other airlines AKA Delta does not?

It's easy to say something. It's harder to prove it.

Please do