Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Using Travel Funds

SWDigits
Aviator A

@ShareJoyCreativ wrote:

I didn't realize I needed to use the travel funds for a flight that occurs before expiration date. I thought it was just booking. Could I buy a flight that is before the expiration date and then cancel the new flight and get the funds back to use just a few months later? 

No, the "timer" is anchored to the original booking date.

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

@ShareJoyCreativ wrote:

I didn't realize I needed to use the travel funds for a flight that occurs before expiration date. I thought it was just booking. Could I buy a flight that is before the expiration date and then cancel the new flight and get the funds back to use just a few months later? 

No, the "timer" is anchored to the original booking date.

In fact if you combine multiple travel funds to a new reservation, and then cancel that one, the new expiration date will be the earlier expiration along with any cash that you contributed to buy the fare.

So original purchase date, or original purchase date of oldest fund if multiple funds are combined.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

mlea
Explorer C

After I made two flight reservations for 5/5-5/12 using my SW VISA, my wife said I should have used our travel funds. Is there a way I can switch charges from credit card to travel funds for this flight?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@mlea If it's still within 24 hours of making the reservation you can cancel and get a cash refund then use the travel funds to rebook. If you are past the 24 hour window there's nothing you can do at this point, if you cancel you would just end up with more travel funds. The only reason I can see for you to cancel and rebook would be if the existing funds you have are expiring soon, then you could use them for this trip and have new travel funds that expire a year from when you booked this new trip.

--TheMiddleSeat

VT2NY2FL
Explorer C

The problem I have with Southwest's policy on Using Travel Funds is the booking date of a flight is probably NOT near the actual flight date. So instead of placing the one year use limitation from the booking date, it makes more sense to coordinate with the actual flight date. Another alternative would be to allow re-booking a flight within the one year limitation but allow it's completion thru the actual flight dates. I have booked my November hunting trip flights for the past several years in June or July to take advantage of advance price booking. The pandemic didn't allow me to travel last November and I have no travel plans with any airlines that would be completed by  early July. My humble opinion...

gsking
Aviator C

I'm tempted to agree with you.   Book a trip now for November,  and you've lost half of that year.  

It's not an issue for last minute (expensive) bookings,  but does pinch the long term planners a bit. 

Djjones
Explorer C

I'm trying to book a flight for me and my boys using travel funds with the same confirmation number. I am able to use my travel funds, but it says my confirmation is a duplicate and I can't use it for them. They were booked on my original flight that was cacelled and have the same confirmation number. Please help

Thank you

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Djjones Call Southwest, 1-800-435-9792

--TheMiddleSeat