Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using a family member's travel funds from a flight which I purchased

YF6971
Explorer C

I purchased 6 tickets for family for a special holiday but had to cancel one and alter another ticket for my college-age nieces who had conflicts. Their two vouchers total just over $1k. Why can I not use these funds since I am the one who purchased them? SW policy states only the original ticket holder can use the credit.  This is pretty frustrating since they can't afford a trip and their vouchers will expire at the end of May. Is their any other solution? It seems to me the credit should go back to the original purchaser. Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Using a family member's travel funds from a flight which I purchased

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry, but for years the rule has been that travel funds that result from a change or cancellation can  only be used by the person whose name was on the changed/cancelled ticket.

Southwest does not hide this fact.

Also, you are apparently dealing with travel funds, and not vouchers. They are two different animals subject to two different sets of rules.

bec102896
Aviator A

After the travel funds expire you can reach out to customer relations and they might be able to issue a LUV voucher valid for 6 months (which anyone could use) they do take $100 though and it is on a case by case basis so no guarantee that they will do it once the travel funds expire. 

-Blake 

YF6971
Explorer C

Thank you Blake.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

As generous as SW's change and cancellation policies are, this one spot where the rules are pretty rigid and pretty clear.

Learn all about Travel Funds here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

nostresshere
Adventurer C

That has been SW rule for a long long time.

Better than most airlines that would not even give you that option.

YF6971
Explorer C

Yes, thank you, I fully understand the policy. I am just questioning why SW wouldn't allow the purchaser to use the travel credit.