Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using cancelled flight funds when some else is booking the trip

manpow5
Explorer C

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are going on a trip in May and she booked our tickets yesterday. After she booked I told her I had travel funds from a cancelled flight back in April. Is there a way to apply these funds now?

Thank you for the help!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Using cancelled flight funds when some else is booking the trip

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don't believe these could be retroactively applied, unless she had used points in which case she can get her points back and make a new booking with the travel funds.

If you thought the April 2017 travel funds would be expiring before you flew again, you could cancel the current booking and re-book with the travel funds - the current booking would end up as travel funds expriring October 2018, but that would also be her money tied up in your name if that matters. This only helps if you knew you would fly sometime between April and October next year.

Best option is probably to see if you'll fly again before April next year and use the funds on another ticket if possible.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

manpow5
Explorer C

She used only points to book the flights which is why I am hopeful I can apply these travel funds to it

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Then you are in good shape, cancel the points booking and the points will be returned to her.

Then rebook for yourself with travel funds and use the confirmation number and your name from the points booking to recover your $5.60 paid for each leg.

You'll have to pay the current airfare price of course, hopefully not much movement on that since she booked it. Make sure the current price isn't way higher before you cancel...or maybe it will even be lower if you can capitalize on the sale in progress through today.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.