Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Vaccination

DocKC
Explorer C

Very very disappointed and plan to cancel my upcoming trips on SW and change to a carrier handling COVID pandemic smarter. (Had scheduled a trip for 8 family members to Hawaii, including my 90 year old mother and 3&5 year old grandchildren.) SHAME on whoever decided not to require vaccinations of staff who are dealing with so many face-to-face public encounters.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DocKC wrote:

Very very disappointed and plan to cancel my upcoming trips on SW and change to a carrier handling COVID pandemic smarter. (Had scheduled a trip for 8 family members to Hawaii, including my 90 year old mother and 3&5 year old grandchildren.) SHAME on whoever decided not to require vaccinations of staff who are dealing with so many face-to-face public encounters.

I presume you too will not be using your travel funds, and will let them expire?

It's nice of you letting Southwest have your money without providing any service.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: no no no no no 😂

Serious answer: no, and let's keep it that way for domestic travel at the very least. I could maybe - maybe - understand needing the vaccination to travel internationally, but Southwest does not fly to many international destinations compared  with other airlines, so we will have to see if that becomes a requirement for the destinations they do serve. As for me, I'm healthy and relatively young in my 30s, and I'd rather see people who truly need the vaccine get it before I get it myself (even now that it's "available" to me which I find miraculous that that happened as quickly as it did, I am still not getting it right away as appointments are booked pretty far out the last I checked).

Truthfully, I'd hate to see getting a vaccine become a requirement to do what was once considered normal like travel domestically or see a show at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I'm definitely not a fan of the "vaccine passport" idea for anything other than potential international travel. Even then, I'm on the fence about the entire premise and - if it's actually adopted and becomes "normal" - what that might mean for the future of everyday life. Wearing my medical history on my arm is nobody's business but my own, IMO, and I'd like to keep it that way.     

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Everyone in the US who want's a vaccine (over age 16) can now get one. There's no reason to wait. You're not taking a spot from someone more deserved; those that "truly need it" should have already gotten it by now.

While rare, covid can and does kill those who are "healthy and relatively young in their 30's." And those numbers are increasing, likely due to the rise in variants. That's what viruses do -- find ways to attack those who previously were more resistant. Look what's happening in India -- something like 10% of new deaths are among those 26-44 years of age. In addition to protecting yourself, getting vaccinated reduces your chances of spreading the virus around, which is why it benefits society as a whole for everyone to get vaccinated. This includes providing protection for those who legitimately cannot get vaccinated.

I absolutely do not understand the hesitancy.

The US will likely never make a covid vaccine mandatory. No one is making anyone do anything.

If we truly want to get back to "normal" we need to reduce infection rates and associated deaths. That's happening -- and vaccines are the primary reason. If we keep it going, we can get there. If not, and variants rise here in the US, we won't see normal anytime soon.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Everyone in the US who want's a vaccine (over age 16) can now get one. There's no reason to wait. You're not taking a spot from someone more deserved; those that "truly need it" should have already gotten it by now.

It was constrained capacity for a long time - but in my area now they are taking walk-ups where a month ago it was restricted to high-risk groups.

So thanks for waiting your turn, but there are plenty to go around at this point.

@chgoflyer wrote:

If we truly want to get back to "normal" we need to reduce infection rates and associated deaths. That's happening -- and vaccines are the primary reason. If we keep it going, we can get there. If not, and variants rise here in the US, we won't see normal anytime soon.

We have to get the total number of cases down so that there are fewer opportunities for variants to develop. 

Also if we can get to 1% positivity we have a chance at implementing contact tracing which has been useless so far with such high infection rates.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

HiDawn
Adventurer C

You should know,  Southwest does NOT require airplane attendants to be vaccinated! I have been a customer AND a current stock holder. I feel that this policy is extremely unsafe for both employees and passengers. As more people become aware of this, I believe you will lose passengers and goodwill.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Any particular reason you posted essentially the same stuff three times?

That is called spamming.

Scubachic
Explorer C

Is this still the case? And what about the pilots? I am extremely nervous about flying with vaccinated pilots and flight attendants. No offense to those who are vaccinated, I just don’t want the people flying the hollow metal tube at 40,000 feet to be jabbed. The risk of blood clots is just too high. 

Shame on American Airlines. I will never, ever, ever fly that airline again. Never! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Scubachic wrote:

Is this still the case? And what about the pilots? I am extremely nervous about flying with vaccinated pilots and flight attendants. No offense to those who are vaccinated, I just don’t want the people flying the hollow metal tube at 40,000 feet to be jabbed. The risk of blood clots is just too high. 

Shame on American Airlines. I will never, ever, ever fly that airline again. Never! 

Well, I guess you are not going to be doing a whole lot of flying.

Pilots. First Officers and Flight Attendants everywhere are getting vaccinated. Even if there is no mandate, you can be sure that a large number of crew members have been stuck

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Scubachic wrote:

Shame on American Airlines. 

Well, good thing you are posting on a Southwest forum 😉 

--Jessica