Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Vaccination

TomMcA
Explorer C

Not rare at all

noyb
Explorer C

Dawn - With all due respect, many people strongly disagree with  your position on vaccines.  A company absolutely should not require it's workforce to be vaccinated. Let me assure you, as more companies institute these policies,  Southwest will in fact NOT lose any business.  Lets just agree to disagree here - I'll enjoy flying Southwest and you enjoy your United flight!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@noyb wrote:

Dawn - With all due respect, many people strongly disagree with  your position on vaccines.  A company absolutely should not require it's workforce to be vaccinated. Let me assure you, as more companies institute these policies,  Southwest will in fact NOT lose any business.  Lets just agree to disagree here - I'll enjoy flying Southwest and you enjoy your United flight!

So, actually, fyi support for vaccine mandates in the US is very high. It's only a problem because some people have politicized the issue, primarily in order to rile up their followers and keep them angry at "the other side." The vast majority of US citizens support vaccine mandates.

No vaccination? Americans back tough rules and mask mandates to protect the common good

An overwhelming 72%-28% of those surveyed by USA TODAY and Ipsos called mask mandates "a matter of health and safety," not an infringement on personal liberty. By 61%-39%, they endorsed requiring vaccinations except for those with a medical or religious exemption.

By more than 2-1, 70%-30%, Americans agreed that people have the right to choose not to get the vaccine but that they then don't have the right to be around the vaccinated. There was significant support for businesses, employers, colleges, restaurants, airlines and others to bar those who hadn't gotten the shot.

The sad truth is that Southwest is already losing business, due to fears (irrational perhaps) from the latest delta surge. Travel destinations are no longer looking attractive, and some such as Hawaii are literally asking people not to come. Businesses are again reducing their employee's travel. Bookings were actually picking up, but now they're down so much that Southwest issued a revised revenue statement.

Southwest Airlines warns that delta Covid variant is hurting bookings, lowers outlook

• Southwest is second airline in less than a week to warn about the impact of the delta Covid variant on bookings.
  • Frontier Airlines issued a similar warning late last week.
  • Weaker bookings and higher cancellations will weigh on results this month, Southwest said.

As I've said before, that it's very unlikely Southwest will ever have a vaccine mandate, because politics. Any mandate would put them afoul of Texas governor Greg Abbott. They've currently been using employee incentives to help raise vaccination rates, I suspect they'll move to disincentives at some point, along the lines of what Delta just announced.

The US should be doing everything it can to raise vaccination rates. We will never get out of this pandemic until the virus stops spreading (and mutating), and people stop dying.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@

I suspect they'll move to disincentives at some point, along the lines of what Delta just announced.

I suspect that Southwest's unions will have something to say about that. Terms and conditions of employment are governed by the contracts the airline has with it's unions. It cannot unilaterally change the terms  without union agreement.

Delta's non unionized workforce lets Delta rule by fiat.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Of course they will, they have something to say about everything. 😉

I suspect Southwest's lawyers are well versed in the various contracts, and exactly what they can do and what they can not.

Sham
Explorer C

I too have been a long term customer and stock holder and feel just as strongly about NOT MANDATING what I choose for medical care as you feel about the airline NOT requiring the vaccine. In America, we have always had choices about our medical care so this is no different. I would have to disagree about SW will loose customers who are provided choices. 

Poohbear
Explorer C

It’s because they aren’t a Nazi company. You are wrong to DEMAND people to get a vaccine. 

CPCRNCH
Explorer C

I would be upset if they did require any employee to get vaccinated!  

sno221
Explorer C

I am a SW Card Holder along with my wife, Customer, and Stock holder of Southwest. I sincerely thank Southwest for standing up for what they believe is right by allowing their  employees to choose if they want to be vaccinated or not. Thank you Southwest!

Great Company / Airline👍 

#Southwest #sw #Goodwork #weloveyou! 

Afinnzo96
Explorer C

So, what you're telling the world and Southwest, is that you don't trust the vaccine you've clearly already taken yourself? Because if you did, you wouldn't need to worry about anyone else affecting you. If this is the case, what was the point in getting it to begin with?

Anybody can be a stockholder, your status isn't above anybody else's. Maybe you should spend less time thinking of yourself and more time thinking about others and their decisions for their own bodies and lives. I think any airline that enforces vaccinations to simply fly will be out of business before the plandemic narrative collapses.

YOU are the problem and same goes for others who share your conceited mentality. Good day.