Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Very Unhappy at Level of Non-Service - where's the LUV?

tcal1962
Explorer C

I am taking a vacation to Jamaica in three weeks. I agreed - when I signed up for this trip - to fly out of Boston, though I live in Central Virginia. I believed that the flight to Montego Bay would be direct out of Boston. (NOTE: that was the plan when I signed up for this trip through the travel agent. COVID changed these plans, like so many others...)

I found out yesterday that my flights, through the trip I bought, are leaving out of Boston at 6:20am and flying through Baltimore to Montego Bay - and returning the same way. My 'home' airport is BWI. I now am required to fly up to Boston the night before, just to get back to the airport at 3pm to fly BACK to Baltimore to go to Montego Bay. The same happens on the return.

I simply want to delete the first and fourth legs of the travel. I don't care about a refund for the other two legs. Southwest can sell these seats again and potential get double revenue for them. I just want my vacation travel to be made easier.  Does it make sense that I need to fly Baltimore to Boston to Baltimore to Montego Bay - and then the opposite on the return?

My travel agent and I have tried to speak with Southwest representatives over and over again to try to cancel the Boston legs of my travel - to no avail. I don't care about the money on these flights. 

We've even tried to book me another outbound flight direct BWI to Montego Bay to make it easier for me to enjoy my vacation - but if I do that I void the ENTIRE ticket (in both directions) so cannot take the return flights. I also lose all the revenue from the tickets.

I have been an A List member for many years and drive 3 hours to BWI to fly Southwest because I believed that the airline was the best in the air. Read that sentence again. It's in the past tense. After all these years, when I need them to show the LUV I have read and heard about - in a situation that would be very easy for them to show a little leniency without losing a dollar - the reps have flat out refused to help. 

After flying Southwest dozens of times every year for the last 10+ years, none of this matters to the lovely people. Where's the LUV? This should be a no-brainer, people. 

I just didn't think Southwest was this kind of airline. Maybe it's time for a new choice where I expect draconian treatment. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Very Unhappy at Level of Non-Service - where's the LUV?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

You can always change your flights with Southwest and apply the full amount of what you paid for the flight to the new reservation without any fee.  I'm not sure why you think you would "lose all the revenue from the tickets".  If there is a difference in fare you would be responsible for paying that.  So, if you want to change your flight from BOS-MBJ to BWI-MBJ you can do that and whatever you paid for BOS-MBJ would be applied towards the cost of BWI-MBJ.  If the BWI-MBJ fare is more than what you originally paid you would need to pay that.  If the BWI-MBJ fare is less than what you paid for BOS-MBJ then you would have credit to use on a future flight.

Don't approach this as deleting the legs, just change the reservation to whatever flights you want.  You can also change the outbound flight without affecting the return.  I see no reason you can't do exactly what you want to do with very little work.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Furthermore.... everything you want to do can be done by yourself (or your travel agent) online provided you have the Southwest confirmation number.  "Change Flight" is featured towards the very top of southwest.com

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Don't approach this as deleting the legs, just change the reservation to whatever flights you want.  You can also change the outbound flight without affecting the return.  I see no reason you can't do exactly what you want to do with very little work.

--TheMiddleSeat

NO airline will let you drop a leg that is part of a connecting flight.

The solution offered by The Middle Seat is the way to go.