Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Voucher expiration unfair

upsetmomofthree
Explorer B

It’s unfortunate I didn’t insist on a different form of compensation at the time.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

You could always try reaching out to customer relations if you haven't reached out to them at 855-234-4654 but I'm afraid that might be a waste of your time since the voucher expired so long a go and they probably won't be able to do anything. 

I’d recommend to try again @upsetmomofthree either calling customer relation or even writing a letter to HQ - the issue is definitely closed on their end if you don’t make anorhet request. I’d suggest the letter option - it would be easier for you to explain the history as opposed to a phone call. Most people you reach on the phone won’t have authority to re-issue $1,400 worth of vouchers....I don’t work for Southwest but I’m sure there is a number smaller than that which you can get by calling.

The part of the story where you are looking at a $2,500 trip soon is pertinent to the goal of the vouchers as customer retention tools.

In hindsight realizing at the beginning that vouchers wouldn’t work for you would be the best path, but you didn’t have the experience then to know the ins and outs of it.

Good luck, I know it’s a long shot but for that amount it seems worth trying one more time to reach someone.

Southwest is great for family travel with young children so please consider them among all of your options understanding that without the vouchers you are “free agents” right now.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

upsetmomofthree
Explorer B

Thanks so much for your kind and sympathetic response. I can't tell you how much it means to me to feel supported, even if the result I was hoping for doesn't come to pass. Funny how the anonymity of the Internet can be so cruel, but on the flip side also validating. Maybe it's something about hearing truth from strangers that feels more real in a way, more so than encouragement from friends and family who will be there for you no matter what. Anyway, please know that your message made me feel less despondent today. Your taking the time to share these compassionate words mattered. Thank you.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@upsetmomofthree wrote:

I think you’re both missing the point. The intention of the vouchers was to make good on a very bad experience with the airline. It could have been cash, spa treatments, whatever, but I wouldn’t have expected it to expire. Having three children under 5 and working full time means I sometimes miss details including unexpected expiration dates on gestures of goodwill. Additionally, I’ll point out that instead of getting more money from us for an upcoming trip (which is what brought my attention back to the vouchers in the first place and which would have worked out to about $1k for the airline after the vouchers), I’ll be making a point of booking with another airline for this trip and avoiding Southwest for all future trips. Seems like it would have been an easy win over of a “mom/head of household purchaser” by offering something to make up for the loss.

Southwest did attempt t make good on your bad experience. It gave you vouchers. YOU CHOSE TO NOT ADHERE TO THE TERMS OF THE VOUCHERS. Now you are angry. In reality you should be angry with yourself.

Southwest is an airline  that flies in excess of 160,000,000 passengers a year - more than any other airline in America. It's a complicated business and is mostly successful because it has systemetizd the process. That process has rules that both it and it's passengers are expected to follow.

upsetmomofthree
Explorer B

Oh, I am and also sad. I’ve been in tears. It feels like I dropped $1,400 on the ground and I’m very mad at myself for it and feeling like a failure at trying to do it all - work, parenting, etc. I’ve given up on asking and get the message that I’m in the wrong here. But it still doesn’t feel very good. Perhaps I was mostly looking for sympathy and understanding - not sure why from strangers on the Internet - but I felt desperate and despaired.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@upsetmomofthree wrote:

Oh, I am and also sad. I’ve been in tears. It feels like I dropped $1,400 on the ground and I’m very mad at myself for it and feeling like a failure at trying to do it all - work, parenting, etc. I’ve given up on asking and get the message that I’m in the wrong here. But it still doesn’t feel very good. Perhaps I was mostly looking for sympathy and understanding - not sure why from strangers on the Internet - but I felt desperate and despaired.

Look, I am sorry that this happened to you. I've done similar things in my life, and felt angry and despondent about doing so. It's happened to me more than once. I get what you are feeling. 

All I could ever do is chalk it up to experience, and move on. I hope that you can do the same.

sdfair
Explorer B

I was offered a voucher recently when Southwest made a mistake. When they were offering me various different choices of compensation, they didn't mention anything about the voucher expiring within a year. It was only later, when I actually received the voucher, that I found out about that limitation. I have heard some airlines mention "good for travel within a year" limitations when asking for volunteers to give up their seats, but I didn't hear anything like that this time.

OP didn't mention what the horrible experience was, but Southwest doesn't give out $1400 in vouchers very easily. It sounds like the experience must have been unusually bad, or affected a whole group of people.  If OP is still around, I would certainly contact customer service and explain why you couldn't travel. Imposing conditions after the fact doesn't seem fair. That's especially true if they were offering you the vouchers in lieu of something else such as a refund or reimbursement for expenses.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

In situations where a refund is due, always request the refund.

On any carrier, make sure you understand completely the terms of anything offered. In general, Southwest customer service vouchers expire one year from the date of issue. 

If there's a situation where your flight is cancelled by Southwest and you are issued travel funds, be aware that you can contact Customer Relations after the fact and request a full refund.

Southwest almost never, except in very rare circumstances, reimburses for expenses.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Posts like this always puzzle me. I wonder what exactly 'happened' 3 years ago to an individual / family to make Southwest issue over $1,000 worth of vouchers. Missed connection? Missed flight? Something else? Considering your user name is 'upset mom of three', I am willing to bet the farm that the compensation had something to do with your kids. You had an entire year to use the funds, that's plenty of time. Sorry, but without more detail regarding your situation, I am not very sympathetic to whatever issue you or your family might have suffered, especially considering you are complaining about it now, on a public forum, 3 years later.

--Jessica