Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wanna Get Away Additional Seats

SoCo4Now
Explorer C

Curious if Southwest ever adds Wanna Get Away seats to their flights. Tyring to book a flight 5 months in advance and all these seats are sold out. Is it worth waiting, or is the number of seat fixed and I'd be wasting my time. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Wanna Get Away Additional Seats

dfwskier
Aviator A

Prices on Wanna Get Away seats go up and down all the time, and I have seen those fares show up for dates/flights where they were not in the past - if for no other reason than people canceling flights.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like you are seeing Wanna Getaway fares sold out, but Anytime and Business Select are still available.  If this is the case, it's still possible that seats could be added into the WGA fare bucket, but not necessarily likely.  Southwest is basically stating that they feel they can sell seats at the higher price and there's no need to offer a discounted fare.  I'll guess, based on the 5 month timeframe you mentioned, you're looking at Thanksgiving?  With demand super high around that time Southwest is probably right that there's no need to offer a discounted fare.

If you're going to buy a ticket regardless, go ahead and buy an Anytime or Business Select fare, they are fully refundable as long as you don't make any changes to the reservation once you make it.  Then, if a WGA fare becomes available you can cancel your original purchase and book the WGA fare.  Also remember, a fare may show up as sold out if you are looking for multiple seats, yet be available at a lower quantity.  Basically, if sold out at quantity of 4, try 3, then 2, then 1.  You might be able to grab 1 WGA and then have to get the rest in Anytime or BS.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you're seeing WGA sold out 5 months in advance, it's probably a high-demand travel day during a holiday period. If that's the case, there's less likelihood of WGA becoming available, simply due to Southwest's load management systems anticipating and responding to that demand. It can still happen, but it's a bit different than, say, a flight next week that's currently sold out of WGA. For peak periods, Southwest may have restricted significantly the number of WGA seats that were even available in the first place. There's a much smaller pool from which a seat may become available.

That said, it's possible the system over-estimated the demand, and at some point more WGA could be released. Your best bet is to keep checking frequently. If you must travel on that flight/day, and are ok with possibly paying full fare, do as was suggested earlier and book an AT fare now. Then book the WGA if it shows up, and immediately cancel the previously booked AT fare and request a refund.

Good luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCo4Now wrote:

Curious if Southwest ever adds Wanna Get Away seats to their flights. Tyring to book a flight 5 months in advance and all these seats are sold out. Is it worth waiting, or is the number of seat fixed and I'd be wasting my time. Thanks!

I'll add to what @dfwskier @TheMiddleSeat @chgoflyer have said - if you are an infrequent Southwest flyer, buy the Anytime fare if your date/time is set and then refund it if you see a WGA pop up. As the others all said, these may come and go to some degree but I wouldn't recommend waiting for one, particularly if this was a holiday travel or going to Orlando during special events at WDW. 

If you are a frequent Southwest flyer, I'd recommend spending the extra few bucks for Business Select over Anytime - you get the 12x points, beverage, and priority boarding. Especially if you may be close to A-list or A-list preferred at the end of the year based on points accumulation, don't buy the Anytime.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.