Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wanna Get Away

Jetp
Explorer C

If I purchase wanna get away tickets early and then the fare drops can I rebook the tickets for the lower fare, and if so, how do I do that and what charges might I incur? Also, are wanna get away fares only available for online purchase or can I call a rep to book those fares? Thank you in advance for your time.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Wanna Get Away

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Yes you can change your flight if the price goes down for no fee.  From the Southwest home page click on Wher it says "Change Flight" and pick you same flight.  I would change online.

Jetp
Explorer C

Thank you

chgoflyer
Aviator A

On Southwest, you can change your flight without a change fee, even the lowest "Wanna Get Away" fares. If the new price is less you'll receive the difference as "travel funds" good towards future travel. Those funds are valid for one year from the date you originally booked, for the same passenger(s) only, and all new travel must be completed by the expiration (not just booked). Be careful when using those funds, because when combined with new money to book a new flight, the entire ticket (including the new money) will take on the oldest expiration date.

Wanna Get Away fares can be booked (or changed) online or via phone. Hope this helps!

hb
Explorer C

Thanks for the information I have found on these fares. I'm a stickler for detail so please be patient with me.

1. Example: I have a Wanna Get Away fare and I can't use it or plans change. 

a. I can cancel this flight and it will be replaced by 'travel credits' for the amount of the ticket to use on another flight?

b. I book early and the price goes down so I can cancel and replace the ticket with the less expensive fare and be issued travel credits for the difference?

Thank you for being patient. This just seems to be too good to be true and I want to be sure. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

On Southwest, you can change your flight without a change fee, even the lowest "Wanna Get Away" fares. If the new price is less you'll receive the difference as "travel funds" good towards future travel. Those funds are valid for one year from the date you originally booked, for the same passenger(s) only, and all new travel must be completed by the expiration (not just booked). Be careful when using those funds, because when combined with new money to book a new flight, the entire ticket (including the new money) will take on the oldest expiration date.