Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wanna get away plus fare and same day change/standby. Does it include co-terminal airports?

sungi
Explorer C

Just purchased my first wanna get away fare. One of the features I'm hoping to use is the same day change and standby option to get on a near earlier flight that day. I had some questions.

For the same day flight change and standby option, does it include travel to co-terminal airport? For example, if my original destination is San Jose but there is an earlier flight going to Oakland, can I change to Oakland with no upcharge?

Same day flight change lets me change flight on day of travel. If I've already checked into my original flight (done day before), can I still change the flight to an earlier one on day of travel?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Wanna get away plus fare and same day change/standby. Does it include co-terminal airports?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

All FAQs regarding the same day change or standby options refer to retaining the same cities. 

"as long as there’s an open seat and your origin and destination are the same"

Being checked in already does not prevent you from making a change or getting on a standby list.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Wanna get away plus fare and same day change/standby. Does it include co-terminal airports?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Actually, that does not work for arrival airports, but I am unsure about departure airports.Laast month I tried to do a same day change but to MDW instead of the originally scheduled ORD. The rep said the computer would not allow a change in airports even though both airports are in Chicago. The rep discussed with a different person and confirmed the details above.

My guess is that doing it at airport for a standby seat is more likely. The risk is that you don't get a seat. 

And yes, you can make the change after you have checked in.

bballflyer
Adventurer C

I don't believe you can do a same day change at a different airport;  This is something I have begged SW customer service for, post it to their twitter account;  The other issue I have had is that they frequently change the time of the flights after I book them and they rebook you on flights that don't work.  They still won't let you change to another close airport even though they are the ones that made the change;  I had them rebook me on a flight that would take over 8 hours vs letting me change to a different airport that I could drive 2 hrs to and take a direct 1 hour flight;  They said I could cancel my flight and of course by that time, the prices of the other flight were much higher.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sungi wrote:

Just purchased my first wanna get away fare. One of the features I'm hoping to use is the same day change and standby option to get on a near earlier flight that day. I had some questions.

For the same day flight change and standby option, does it include travel to co-terminal airport? For example, if my original destination is San Jose but there is an earlier flight going to Oakland, can I change to Oakland with no upcharge?

Same day flight change lets me change flight on day of travel. If I've already checked into my original flight (done day before), can I still change the flight to an earlier one on day of travel?

They open up the coterminal cities when there is a big delay such as weather system coming through, but I don't think you can change airports under normal operations.

Once you are at the airport they have more power though, I think they can shuffle your destinations there depending on all the factors.

I don't think there is any good option about the origin airport other than people who show up at the wrong one accidentally anecdotally they will try to take care of you. (ORD vs MDW, DCA vs IAD where the airport is literally in the same city - not SJC vs OAK in that case. Houston and Dallas are newer entries to this category and I don't know if they get mixed up or not very often.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.