Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Want to pick up checked bags during layover

JJJ123
Explorer C

I'm traveling from AUS to ABQ with a layover in Houston, and I know that generally my checked bags are automatically transferred to ABQ via the pink transfer tag.

However, I plan to meet some friends for dinner during my 3 hour layover and I want to collect 1 of my checked bags and leave it with them in Houston. Is this possible / allowed? If so, how is this done?  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Want to pick up checked bags during layover

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'll make an assumption the item in question, or something in the same bag, is unable to pass through TSA screening and needs to be checked at check-in.  IF you can get the bag through security then do that and gate check the bag.  Then you can get the bag after you get off the first flight (might be at baggage claim).  Do the same thing and gate check it for the second flight.

If gate checking is not an option I don't really see how this would be possible.  If you do manage to get the bag, it's not clear how you would then re-check it since you are not at the origination of your trip.  Having said that, during check-in go to the full service check-in (not a kiosk) and talk to an agent.  They MAY be able to tag the one bag to have a final destination that is your layover city.  You would then have to go to baggage claim and get it.

--TheMiddleSeat

JJJ123
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply! Your assumption is correct - the item (baby "pack n play" gizmo thing) is slightly too large for a carry-on and has some metal poles for assembly, so unfortunately I don't think going through security and gate checking is an option.

FYI I wouldn't need to re-check the bag in Houston at all. If I could get it at baggage claim in Houston I could leave the entire bag with friends and not have to re-check it to ABQ.

But it sounds like that might not make a difference, unless, as you mentioned.

"They MAY be able to tag the one bag to have a final destination that is your layover city."

Probably won't risk it though - thanks!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Now that we know the item in question is not a weapon or anything TSA would have a problem with, gate checking is still an option.  Since it would fit in a suitcase it would fit through the x-ray machine and it being too large for carry-on would not matter because it would be checked before you get on the plane.

However, it has been so long since I've gate checked anything that I can't recall if the baggage tag used is based off your reservation's final destination or a destination you tell them at the counter when you are gate checking.  If you can tell them the layover city as the bag's final destination then you would be good to go!  We'll need someone else's input on that question.  Maybe @DancingDavidE or @elijahbrantley would know from checking strollers?

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Now that we know the item in question is not a weapon or anything TSA would have a problem with, gate checking is still an option.  Since it would fit in a suitcase it would fit through the x-ray machine and it being too large for carry-on would not matter because it would be checked before you get on the plane.

However, it has been so long since I've gate checked anything that I can't recall if the baggage tag used is based off your reservation's final destination or a destination you tell them at the counter when you are gate checking.  If you can tell them the layover city as the bag's final destination then you would be good to go!  We'll need someone else's input on that question.  Maybe @DancingDavidE or @elijahbrantley would know from checking strollers?

--TheMiddleSeat

We definitely had the option to collect a stroller for use in the layover city if we wanted to… In fact one time they tagged it that way and I didn’t want it luckily I checked the tags before we left the counter.

The @bec102896 method could work as well just explain you have a 3-hour layover and would like to retrieve your item either gate checked or regular checked.

There might be some funny looks if there’s no baby with you, but that wouldn’t matter anyway if this is one of your two free-checked items.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

You could probably visit the full service counter in AUS and they might be able to help check it to HOU. The agents in AUS (my home airport) are very nice and have done all sorts of weird bag checks for me (one being checking a bag though 4 confirmation numbers so i didn't have to go check my bag 4 times in one day)  I'm sure if you explain that your taking the bag to a friend in HOU they would do it for you. 

One thing to keep in mind delays happen so if the flight from AUS has a major delay/cancellation this could still cause your bag to go to HOU even if you don't end up there.