Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Weather Cancelled flight refund question

amarkovitz114
Explorer C

Wondering if anyone here can help - connecting flight from BWI to Islip was canceled on 8/21 due to a hurricane and we were unable to be rebooked (second leg flight, cancelled while on the first leg) Luckily this was a one way flight so opted to spend a night with family in Baltimore and drive to Long Island.

Called the next day to get a refund, was a short and easy call with the agent saying I would receive the full value of each ticket refunded within 7 business days.

Fast forward nearly 60 days and I have called or messages Southwest multiple times, got an email that it was “processed” on 9/10, and still have not received anything. I have also confirmed the card they will be refunding and have reached out to my bank (but did not contest the charge) to ensure they were not holding up the process.

Any ideas on what I can do? Am I missing something?? It’s nearly 300 dollars so I am not going to give up. Have never had this much trouble with a simple weather cancellation, especially since SW is legally required to refund. 

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Weather Cancelled flight refund question

dfwskier
Aviator A

Check to see if it was refunded as a "travel fund."

If it was, get back to the airline and tell it that you don't want a travel fund. You want a refund.

bec102896
Aviator A

Did you originally pay with a travel fund or LUV voucher? If so that refund would be held as travel funds under the confirmation number that you were booked under. 

You could also call reservations 800-435-9792 and see if they can take another look or escalate to someone who can investigate. 

amarkovitz114
Explorer C

Thanks for the responses! I paid with credit card and did not receive a refund in the form of a travel fund.

I have called southwest more than once a week since 8/21 to ask for an update or an explanation of why it is taking so long. Most agents have no idea and tell me I need to be more patient. One said I should be grateful for the voucher I was given at the airport when we deplaned the first leg (what??).

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Stop calling and write a message.  That will create a paper trail and, more importantly, give someone the time needed to research the issue.  Calling does not allow for the time needed to dig deeper into an issue.

Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat