Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

“Weather” not 737 Max 8 cancellation

ajbanks
Explorer C

My family and I were scheduled on flight 527 @ 6:30am on Thursday, March 14 from Dallas to Denver. The aircraft was a 737 Max 8. On Wednesday afternoon, the flight was canceled. After waiting on the phone for over 2 hours to speak to an agent, I was told the flight was canceled due to weather so the best they could offer us was a flight out of Dallas on Saturday. My daughter had a volleyball tournament that started on Friday morning so getting us to Denver Saturday afternoon would do us no good. I explained that we were on a 737 Max 8 so Southwest should do a little more to try and accommodate us. The agent was adamant it was due to weather. However, there was another flight that was not a 737 Max 8 that was scheduled to leave before the my flight on Thursday, it was sold out but had not been canceled. In addition, flight 527 for Friday was also canceled. But they continue to lie and claim it was due to weather. The only flight we could find to get us to Denver was a flight out of Lubbock on Friday morning. The Lubbock flight would land in Denver around 7:20am. Not ideal but this would work.  We were willing to make the 5 hour drive to Lubbock. SW would not transfer us to that flight since our original flight was canceled due to weather. They would only accommodate us with a departure out of Dallas. There was absolutely nothing available out of Dallas. We had to purchase a new flight at the current price. SW claims to be “TRANSPARENT”. This is not transparency by any means. SW entire marketing campaign and core values are all about customer service and transparency. Well this experience for me was not good customer service or transparent. I understand SW wants to limit its liability related to the 737 Max 8 but taking advantage of customers is not the way to do it.

1 REPLY 1

Re: “Weather” not 737 Max 8 cancellation

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

6:30am March 14? As in the morning after the crazy bomb cyclone hit Denver and closed the Denver airport for most of the day? Yeah, that was a major weather event and most flights were still canceled until Thursday afternoon. That's a pretty legitimate reason for weather cancelation.

https://www.9news.com/article/weather/weather-colorado/the-bomb-cyclone-was-the-strongest-ever-recor...

--TheMiddleSeat