Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Web Site Access Denied Using Airport Wifi

purplehalf
Explorer C

Frequent traveler, first time poster. I see others have previously raised issues regarding "Access Denied" error messages on the Southwest web site. I'll add some additional info to that discussion for Southwest IT. I have found that I get the error message when attempting to access the web site from a number of airport's WiFi. I am currently at LAS and am not able to access the web site when connected to their WiFi. This also affects connectivity within the Southwest mobile app. Using a cellular connection or VPN from the same device allows access normally. The public IP on the WiFi is 199.36.244.14. I have also had the same issue at HOU and other airports.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Web Site Access Denied Using Airport Wifi

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

This would be good to send to Southwest directly. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

purplehalf
Explorer C

Good idea and now submitted directly to Southwest.

Might also be helpful for others to understand why they aren't able to check flight status while they are in the airport - the place where they need it most. I sat at HOU waiting for a delayed flight, convinced for hours that all of Southwest IT was hosed with the web site down. I've now learned not to use airport WiFi if I want the the app/website to work.

Also happens at BWI by the way!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When you have these issues do you verify that you have all other internet connectivity? As mentioned in the article linked below, lots of customers have issues when their phones automatically connect to airport wifi and don't fully complete the login process which often requires clicking some sort of "I agree" button. For this reason (and many more) I never automatically connect to public wifi. Just a thought, perhaps not related to your issue.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/App-Updates-Offline-Alerts-on-iOS/m-p/1...

--TheMiddleSeat

purplehalf
Explorer C

Yep, everything else works fine and captive portal authentication is complete. It's just Southwest.com and app that have issues